Honda Aero Will not start!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

SemiDUDE
Noob
Noob

Honda Aero Will not start!

Post by SemiDUDE »

I am recently new to this forum, but I really need help.

I have a Honda Aero, 1985. really decent condition. it has been sitting for a awhile and the motor was froze. I got it free and moving again, I have nice blue spark, compression, and fuel going to the cylinder, but it will not fire at all. I had it backfire only once after a whole 2 days. i cleaned the carb 3 times, put a little oil into the cylinder to lube it up, made sure the muffler was cleared out, airbox is clean, brand new gas, inline fuel filter, and a brand new battery. all it does is spin the motor around when i hit the starter. i press the brake and still nothing. poor fuel into the cylinder, Nothing. I took off the carb and put it on my other Aero that runs and i rode down the street and back twice without a problem. i sanded the inside of the magneto to make sure that was good, no change. swapped coil pack, nothing. tried choking the carb with my hand, still nothing. all the switches are on. everything is hooked up except the taillights and rear turn lights as that they are still buried in a snow bank.

If someone can please help me before I light it on fire, I would very much appreciate it!
Andrew
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Re: Honda Aero Will not start!

Post by swflcarl »

Compression + Spark + Gas = Fire

What was your compression reading?

When you put premix directly in the spark hole it won't sputter for a few seconds?
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

close down the gap on the plug to 25....
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
SemiDUDE
Noob
Noob

Post by SemiDUDE »

When I did it, it read around 100. When I place my thumb over the hole, the engine blows my thumb off of the plug hole. and when I place fuel into the cylinder, Nothing happens. no sputter, no nothing. I have have a few people look at it and they have no clue what is wrong with it. When i take out the plug, it is always wet. So i figured too much fuel. I disconnected the bystarter and let it sit for 2 hours with the cylinder open. came back, and put a little bit of gas in the cylinder. Nothing. no sputter at all. plug is wet. so then i repeat the process again but without pouring fuel in it. nothing and the plug is wet. I check the spark again, spark is still fine. clean the carb, test on the good moped, works perfect. place it on the other one, nothing
SemiDUDE
Noob
Noob

Post by SemiDUDE »

And i replaced the bystarter. no effect. So the only thing i can think of is that there must be something wrong with the cylinder. I will try and see about switching the muffler tomorrow and see if something happens.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

close down the gap on the plug to 25!!!! if you not going to set the plug at less tell us what the gap is !!!!
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

putting your thumb on the hole wont tell you anything 30psi will blow your finger off.Get a accurate guage and test properly .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
SemiDUDE
Noob
Noob

Post by SemiDUDE »

I got my buddy's tester. Tested around 115. and I did set the plug to 25!! Jeez, yell at me. Still will not start.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

your compression test is good your gap shood be good.the plug being wet all the time is not good ... you may try a new plug and no gas down the hole or oil... oil on the plug will flow it out under compression...
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

Pipe is plugged. Take it off and burn it. Blow it out and paint with BBQ paint.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
nhaven
Noob
Noob

Post by nhaven »

My 1985 Aero will not start if the throttle is stuck open.

So, perhaps the throttle cable on your Aero needs adjusting.
lakehouse
Goped
Goped

Post by lakehouse »

1) See if there is any difference any difference with the exhaust completely removed. (Maybe it is plugged.) If it starts, there's your problem.....blocked exhaust. Don't run it for very long minus the exhaust system.
2) Be sure the carb slide in installed properly and will travel up and down in the venture when twisting the throttle. It will never start if you have a WOT condition!
3) Might check your reed plate for obstructions. I doubt that you will find anything there though with the compression reading you are getting.
4) It will be tough to check for vacuum leaks since the engine doesn't run, but look closely for any signs of something being torn, broken, etc. (Look closely AFTER having your coffee or energy drink!)
5) Pull the fuel filter off and put it on your bench until you get it running if it is a paper element filter. Remember, we don't have fuel pumps on our rides! We have to rely on gravity like the old Model A's and T's did!

Has this engine ever ran in the past since you have owned it? With what you have stated, you should have at least got a pop or sputter of some kind I would think. Personally, I don't think it is an ignition problem other than the possibility of the timing being off. Check your service manual on how to inspect or test that one. About the only other thing I can remotely think of is some sort of a blockage between the crankcase and the intake port. Insects can get into the smallest places and build nests out of mud and who knows what!

Let us know what you find. This is the kind of problem I thrive on! LOL
spreeinkc
Spree
Spree

Post by spreeinkc »

Did you remove the engine when you were working on it? How did you free it up? (what was froze?) If the plug is always wet there may be excess gas, oil, water, solvent, etc... down in the case causing it to flood or foul the plug. I would pull the plug and crank it over and see how much crap blows out. If you didn't have the engine off so you could turn it upside down to rinse the case out then I would definitely check it. Hold a paper towel over it while you're cranking it. If it gets wet you got too much who knows what in there and it needs to be cleaned out.
PorterGuy85
Spree
Spree

Post by PorterGuy85 »

Sounds like my issues now, I haven't started searching yet to see why it won't start. Hopefully you get it going soon :-)
hondafan
Goped
Goped

Post by hondafan »

You have to too much fluid, gas,oil , in the case and you are flooding it. Disconnect your fuel line from the carb. Keep you spark plug out and crank it to get it all out. If you keep cranking with the fuel line connected, you will keep adding fuel and it will never start! Once you crank it and don't see fluid spitting out of the spark plug hole, put a fresh dry plug in and crank it with the fuel line still off. See if it will sputter, if so, pull the plug out make sure it is dry, put it back in and connect the fuel line back. It will start then.