88 Elite SE won't accelerate over 5 mph

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kine8282
Noob
Noob

88 Elite SE won't accelerate over 5 mph

Post by kine8282 »

Sup all, first post on the forum. i just picked up an 88 Elite SE for crazy cheap since the PO thought there might be something majorly wrong with it. I hope not!

Here is the issue:
The bike starts up fine idles OK, rode it around the 'hood today to see how fast it goes and after 3 blocks i noticed a drop in acceleration especially at WOT, it creeps at 5 mph or so. i feathered the throttle and found that at 1/3 or so its OK. i stopped for a bit to figure out whats up and when i got back on i tried WOT and it was OK for 2 mins then back down to 5 mph.

Here is what i think is wrong:
The bike aint getting enough fuel. when i stopped for a little bit i suspect that was enough time for the bowls to fill a little. can someone confirm?

i want to pick up the parts that i need to fix this problem before i start to take anything off. here is what i think i will need:

* 6 pack of beer
* new fuel lines (does anyone know the inside diameter of the hoses?
* inline fuel filter

am i missing anything? is there anything else i should check while the cover is off? i suspect that when you guys are tuning your bikes you run without the covers to make adjustments easier?

thanks everyone...my first post but been lurking since i got the bike.
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: 88 Elite SE won't accelerate over 5 mph

Post by swimmingfree »

i wood get some carb cleaner as well ...did you get the manual from here????
swimmingfree
ps
kessler is better then beer less trips to the can... lol
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The Iowa version of the Elite is restricted to 25 MPH to comply with state Moped laws. Yours must be the I-Da-Ho super-restricted version. :)

Sinceriously, fuel lines are 5mm. It's hard to find an SAE equivalent that really fits; either too loose or cram-on tight. The Cone O'Stone filters work OK, but avoid the paper-element items; they're designed for low-revving Lawn Boys that can't pull fuel nearly as fast. And you need at least a 12-Pack.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
kine8282
Noob
Noob

Post by kine8282 »

Before I started to pop the plastic I decided to see if it was a simple vacuum lock so I rode with a loose gas cap and after an hour the bike is still running strong. I might just need to replace the seal on the gas cap or the one that I have is installed wrong. Can someone take a picture of their seal? I want to see if the seal I have on the cap is installed incorrectly.
martynkim
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by martynkim »

I doubt the seal is the culprit. Likely a flow issue, see if it runs that good tomorrow when it has cooled down. I have never had a gas cap problem and have repaired lots of Bikes.
Need parts? Parting out Spree Aero and Elite!
What people share about buying from me http://www.hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewto ... =1&t=15559
PM me with your needs Cheap Parts
kine8282
Noob
Noob

Post by kine8282 »

I took off the seal on the gas cap and let is soak in some cooking oil overnight to soften it up. I reinstalled it this morning and have been riding the bike nonstop for like 30 miles or so and it's good to go! No bogging or other issues. Will still be popping the plastic but going to ride her to figure out what I wanna do. Either way, learned a lesson that before you start try the easiest first. Thanks everyone.