Trying to get Spree running after 11 year storage

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

loudelectronics
Noob
Noob

Trying to get Spree running after 11 year storage

Post by loudelectronics »

I am new to scooters, but mechanically inclined as I commonly build motors for quads and sleds.

Brother picked up a Spree and trying to get it running for him. Been a long time since I worked on a carbed machine. Pulled carb and cleaned it up. All ports appear clear.

The machine will start after it has sat for a while but after a start it will not restart. It will run with throttle and can sometimes get it to idle but not always.

There is a petcock of sorts under the fuel tank that the fuel line and vacuum line connect too. Gas does not pour freely from this when tubes disconnected. Should it? Is this a regulator that requires a vacuum to pull gas through? On the vacuum line I can not get any air to pass through. Does this line remain blocked for a reason or is it supposed to at least flow one direction?
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Trying to get Spree running after 11 year storage

Post by breaze »

loudelectronics wrote:The machine will start after it has sat for a while but after a start it will not restart. It will run with throttle and can sometimes get it to idle but not always.

Usually indicates that the idle jet is blocked (hard to clean on Spree's - need to be able to see pin-* of light thru it and spray carb cleaner thru it) - could be that the electronic choke enriches the fuel enough to allow it to idle, but once the engine is warm, it no longer adds fuel mix.
loudelectronics wrote:There is a petcock of sorts under the fuel tank that the fuel line and vacuum line connect too. Gas does not pour freely from this when tubes disconnected. Should it? Is this a regulator that requires a vacuum to pull gas through? On the vacuum line I can not get any air to pass through. Does this line remain blocked for a reason or is it supposed to at least flow one direction?
Fuel should only flow when vacuum applied - sucking on the vacuum hose should release the fuel thru the other line. If not, you can usually clean the petcock being careful not to damage the diaphragm. Lots of info on this site on how to clean petcock and carb. I usually use WD-40 soak in petcock or fuel mix - some use carb cleaner but only as a last resort because it can damage diaphragm. Also, there is a fuel filter underneath the petcock inside the tank that may need cleaning.

Good luck
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Vacuum pulls open a valve in the petcock. Gas should flow if you apply a little vacuum to the vacuum line.

These vehicles have a thing called a bystarter that is a black cylinder attached to the carb. It is electrically powered and has a needle that extends and closes an enrichment circuit as the engine runs. If that is not connected correctly or is broken it will not extend, and the mixture will stay rich. The scooter will start fine cold and run poorly at speed, and stall at idle when warm. The power comes directly from the stator, I think, so it only gets power when the engine is running. You can easily remove it and then connect it to battery voltage and ground, and wait a couple of minutes. The needle and shaft should extend some and the body of the bystarter will be warm.
loudelectronics
Noob
Noob

Post by loudelectronics »

Is the fuel filter inside the tank? I removed petcock and did not see a filter.

Will check the bystarter to see its operation.

I am pretty sure the pilot jet is clear as I get air flow through it. Will shine a light to see.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

loudelectronics wrote:Is the fuel filter inside the tank? I removed petcock and did not see a filter. yes - inside the tank and can be difficult to pry out - if you can get fuel flow by applying vacuum (sucking), it may not be worth it

Will check the bystarter to see its operation.

I am pretty sure the pilot jet is clear as I get air flow through it. Will shine a light to see.
From my experience and what I read in this forum, it usually takes several attempts to clear that pilot jet on the Spree - if you don't see the light, it probably isn't clear. Your description fits this situation to a tee. You can check the bystarter (electric choke) but it sounds like that is what is allowing you to idle when engine is cold so probably working ok.
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90
wentwest
Spree
Spree

Post by wentwest »

Bystarters that fail or have poor electric connections allow cold starts perfectly, because if they don't work they leave the enriching circuit wide open all the time. When the engine starts to warm up the mixture is just too rich and the engine runs badly and wastes gas and won't start at all. If it does idle you will notice that adjusting the pilot jet screw has no effect.
breaze
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by breaze »

wentwest wrote:Bystarters that fail or have poor electric connections allow cold starts perfectly, because if they don't work they leave the enriching circuit wide open all the time. When the engine starts to warm up the mixture is just too rich and the engine runs badly and wastes gas and won't start at all. If it does idle you will notice that adjusting the pilot jet screw has no effect.
Good point - also, we are assuming you've done the basics - good plug (preferably new) gapped correctly, good air filter element (very important for Spree that air filter has good element and is on correctly),
'72 CT90
'73 CT90
'74 CT90