Changing final drive on non-variated honda

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Changing final drive on non-variated honda

Post by unclejemima »

I'm really new to scooters. With machines like the spree, how does one go about changing the final drive if there is no variator?

Does anyone make different gear sets? Can you change front or rear sprocket size like on a motorcycle?

Thanks!
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Re: Changing final drive on non-variated honda

Post by swimmingfree »

chopchop*123 on ebay sometimes has them but if you dont run a bbk it will not help you get better speed out of your spree...
sewimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Thanks. It feels as if it has could have higher speed if I geared it better...

BBK (big bore kit) would make obvious use of the extra power and allow it to go faster as well.

I'll check out chopchop123 on ebay.

Thanks for the info!
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Another little nudge in top speed can be had by swapping the biggest tire that'll fit back there. Most people think that's a 2.75. Swim is right that power, not gearing, is the more likely limiting factor. Furthermore, any improvement in top speed incurs a cost in terms of take-off.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Dr_Craw
Spree
Spree

Post by Dr_Craw »

with that bbk you can find a pipe for that motocompo but you might need to brush up on your Japanese
pipe: http://www.arriracing.com/
bbk: http://japan.webike.net/products/375792.html
Roll the dice
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

Looking for some more help on the matter. I've been ripping the motocompo and though down low its lacking in power, its got lots to easily hit 50km/h...just needs gear better.

I'd like if someone could help with tire suggestions of a 8" tire available in USA/Canada. I can't find anything. A larger rear tire would be a quick and easy.

What about the rear sprocket? The smaller the rear sprocket, the easier. Does anyone make aftermarket "sprockets" for Spree's, QR50's, motocompo, etc.?

Looks like the front final drive is not changeable.

Appreciate the advice,
unclejemima
BMX
BMX

Post by unclejemima »

From what little bit of info I can find...I think the rear sprocket might even be plastic...?
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

The four Motocompo's we have, peak out at 40 KPH, so if your Motocompo is hitting 50 KPH, you are already ahead of the pack. I have found the handling to be substandard as compared to Spree's Gyro's and Aero's also. They are just plain cute, rare and valuable. , so we don't really care about handling or speed.
Ours will stay stock to retain their high value.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

That bbk looks to be the same as the Honda hobbit which is the same cylinder as the express and a bunch of other mopeds. Go to treatland.TV and look up any cylinder kit for hobbits. You can get a 44mm for under 100$ https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-p ... mm-kit.htm or this kit would be wicked https://www.treatland.tv/honda-hobbit-a ... t-44mm.htm. so any exhaust mod you may want will need a hoobit or express header pipe. If you are fabwork inclined making a tuned pipe fit that would be fairly easy with a header that fit and a 40$ fit all chamber from treats if it fit in the hole. Can you send a pic of the intake and carb maybe where it all bolts to the block? Maybe you can get a better carb or at the very least maybe it has express reeds then you can get a new reedblock and boyesen 2 stage reeds. There are so many options to get better performance it just takes a little cross referencing and some 2 stroke know how. If it were me I would start with the cylinder and see what shape the bore is in first. Your lousy take off might be low compression. My express goes way faster than 50km an hour mainly because of the larger carb and pipe allowing it to rev way higher. Personally I'd get a stock cylinder port it a little then get an after market high compression head for it or, make or buy either carbon fiber reeds .35 or .40 mm or get the boyesen reeds it they fit. BBQ the pipe a and rip it stock style. With good bottom end and the bike will be reliable. If you can can swap out the main jets in the carb you could get away with a 44mm bbk on the stock carb no problem. It could have a carb like an express where it has a fixed main jet.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock