Honda Spree is dead

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Nikky
Noob
Noob

Honda Spree is dead

Post by Nikky »

I have a 86 Honda Spree, and it was running fine, then it just wouldn't start. Turned the key, and no sound. Unfortunately the kick start doesn't work, so I'm stuck. Checked the battery and it is fine. When I turn the key, the back light goes on. the right blinkers works, but the left one makes a weird noise and doesn't work. Call me crazy, but I'm a girl who has tried to rebuild a couple of these for my boys, so I know the online manual pretty well, and am slowly getting to know how it works. I checked the fuse, and changed the spark plug. I have another scooter, so switched out the ignition coil (CDI unit), Resister, and starter relay units, and tried them individually on the other scooter and they all worked. I couldn't see any loose wires. I figure it has to be electrical, since I get nothing, other than the lights that go on. I'm so frustrated.... originally I had bought a new key and ignition for it 8 months ago, when I bought it and it needed work. Does anyone have any ideas? I would be greatly appreciative:)

Thank you, Nikky
deuce217
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Honda Spree is dead

Post by deuce217 »

you mentioned you turned the key, and nothing happens. The key is step 1 step 2 hold a brake lever down and press the start button on the right side of the handle bar. If still nothing, charge the battery and report back if that does nothing.
2000 Elite SR50 -THE PURPLE NURPLE
50mm BBK (tai)
26mm OKO (round slide) 135 Main Jet
V-8 pipe
39/18 secondary gears (7.583:1 ratio)
36 grams in Prodigy variator
Malossi Delta Clutch & WIng Bell- Thanks RED EFT
65mph GPS (on the freeway)
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Does the rear light go dark when you push the starter button? That would indicate the battery is dead. Deuce is right on the money with charging the battery. If it does turn over the battery may still be strong enough to turn the motor over bit just not quite fast enough to make it fire. I had that problem once, I was puzzled for a few min then charged the battery just to be sure and it fired right up. If you have a 5 amp battery charger you can JumpStart the Scooter with it. A multimeter would be handy here. Have someone hole the meter on the battery and see if the voltage drops when you crank it. If it drops really low as you hit the button the battery is dead or fried.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Nikky
Noob
Noob

Post by Nikky »

Thank you two. I will place it on a charger tonight and let you know in the morning. Thank you again.
Nikky
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I just thought of somthing to check before you charge it is the water level in the battery. If any cells are low top them up with distilled water in between the low and high lines. My spree wouldn't start once and it was the low water in the battery. I topped it up and charged it and its still going strong. That was min 4 years ago. I got the battery in 2009 I think and its still works great.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Nikky
Noob
Noob

Post by Nikky »

Thank you for the help. The battery is not even a year old, and I showed a full charge, but I charged it over night anyway. Tail light goes on, and it won't start. I know I have to press the left brake while pushing the button, and it is turned on. Like I said, I've been using the spree's, but it just baffles me that it makes absolutely no noise, and I feel like I've done everything. I even took off the front light, and checked to see if any of the wires tucked in behind it were loose. We live on a gravel driveway, so I thought maybe something giggled loose.

Any more suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it:)
Thank you,
Nikky
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Switches can corrode, relays can fail, and so can starter motors. My first step would be to rehabilitate the kickstart lever.

You can run a hot wire from the dismounted battery straight to the pin on the starter. Then just kiss the starter housing with a lead from the negative terminal and see if the starter turns the engine over. Use big wires and firmly-crimped connectors. Then you'll know if it's the starter itself.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Nikky wrote:Thank you for the help. The battery is not even a year old, and I showed a full charge, but I charged it over night anyway. Tail light goes on, and it won't start. I know I have to press the left brake while pushing the button, and it is turned on. Like I said, I've been using the spree's, but it just baffles me that it makes absolutely no noise, and I feel like I've done everything. I even took off the front light, and checked to see if any of the wires tucked in behind it were loose. We live on a gravel driveway, so I thought maybe something giggled loose.

Any more suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it:)
Thank you,
Nikky
Wheelman has a good point about the kick start being a good place o start. Try the right hand brake lever or both at the same time when pushing the start button either brake will allow the starter to run. You have tail light, does the brake light come on when you pull either brake? And even a fairly new battery can fail. Ive seen batteries that test full voltage and then drop to near zero when any load was applied. And then recovering a bunch so it showed a decent voltage after the load was removed.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Nikky
Noob
Noob

Post by Nikky »

I do have a back tail light. It goes on when I turn the key. It gets brighter when I squeeze either brake. Tried both brakes like you suggested while pushing the button, but nothing. The battery shows a full charge.

I'm a little confused with what Wheelman was trying to tell me with using the battery to hot wire the started. Not sure what the pin is or the housing. The starter button is incased in a silver casing next to the right brake, if this is what you are talking about. I'm not sure if it comes apart.

Thank you both for your persistent help:)

Nikky
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

He is referring to the starter motor it self that is down in the front of the block. You can bypass all of the rest of the electrical system by putting power directly to the starter it self. If it spins and or starts the motor you will need to go through the wiring diagram and follow through it all until you find the issue
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Nikky
Noob
Noob

Post by Nikky »

Thank you, I will try that after work today. I'll keep you posted.
Nikky
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Nikky
The Spree uses a starter relay, you should be able to do all your testing from that connector. Once you have found the relay and printed the service manual starter circuit page, the rest is easy with either a test light or Volt-Ohm meter.
From that point you should be able to determine if the start signal is not present, the brake light signal is missing or, the relay is not operating or the starter itself is not operating.
I always enjoy guessing first, then testing and diagnosing to confirm ( or not ) my guess.
My guess is the brake light signal is missing at the relay ( wire corroded or unplugged) ........ post what you find to see if my guess is right or wrong.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.