AARG! Elite still wont run. Compression test results.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Batteries dont come fully charged when you buy them. Make sure you charge them before you use it. Did you do this?
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

I was under the impression that new batteries charged as soon as I popped the top and added the chemicals.

Please advise if this isnt correct and I can throw it on the bench overnight.

thanks.
eman916
BMX
BMX

Post by eman916 »

starhunter wrote:I was under the impression that new batteries charged as soon as I popped the top and added the chemicals.

thanks.
Nope, you have to atlease charge them for 6 hours.
-=_EmaN_=-
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

eman916 wrote:
starhunter wrote:I was under the impression that new batteries charged as soon as I popped the top and added the chemicals.

thanks.
Yeppers
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

DO a compression test. It sounds like very low comp. or reeds bent or busted. Who did the rebuild? They might of forgot the expander ring or put the keystone ring on the bottom and the square ring up top (backwards) this would kill compression.
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

eman916 wrote:

thanks.

Aww *! I'll be sure to get it on the charger today.

As far as the big three are concerned (spark, fuel, compression), I know the engine runs 'cause I saw it running well after my friend wrecked his bike. I know the spark makes it to the plug but not sure if its getting to the post - ordering a new plug today. I'll get some exact numbers on compression, then I'm tearing apart the carb.

Fortunately for me, 2stroker may be able to help in person if we're able to meet.
starhunter
BMX
BMX

Post by starhunter »

I did a compression test the other day and got 100psi in the cylinder. I remember using oil to test for damaged rings in an old car of mine so I tried it in the scoot. For some reason I no longer got a reading, not sure if it was too loose in the socket or not, and when I was trying to crank it I saw/smelled smoke coming from either the head's radiator area or back out the carb, not sure cause I was on the other side.

My gf's dad tinkered with it and threw the idea out there of the CDI possibly being bad. Can you pop the top off and test it like an auto relay?
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

starhunter wrote:I did a compression test the other day and got 100psi in the cylinder. I remember using oil to test for damaged rings in an old car of mine so I tried it in the scoot. For some reason I no longer got a reading, not sure if it was too loose in the socket or not, and when I was trying to crank it I saw/smelled smoke coming from either the head's radiator area or back out the carb, not sure cause I was on the other side.

My gf's dad tinkered with it and threw the idea out there of the CDI possibly being bad. Can you pop the top off and test it like an auto relay?
if you have spark more than likely it's not the cdi.If it was the cdi with spark than it would be timing on the part of the cdi. It would run like crap but would still run.