01 elite stalls at lights on hills

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

01 elite stalls at lights on hills

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

So this isnt a big issue but it has happened a few times as I am sitting at a light uphill the bike is wanting to die out. if I keep the throttle going its fine but if I go to let it idle for a few seconds it will die. the bike is running great other than that and was just looking to see if anyone has any input. this happened last night after my softball game on my way to the bar was on a slight incline and the bike really wasnt warm yet and it died and I rolled it to the side and got it on levelish ground and it started back up and I was off. dont think its anything serious just wanting to know what I might need to fix down the road. Thanks all
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: 01 elite stalls at lights on hills

Post by LMH »

+1 on float, first thing that popped into my head. Also check wire connections. I'd give the bike a real good shaking when it's sitting at idle.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

I am certain that it is only on inclines and not always. its probably due for a good carb cleaning. kinda figured it was something in carb if it gets worse Ill clean it but right now its running extremely good and doesnt seem to be affecting the running of the bike. got it up to 51.3 mph last night in cool temps and thats all the faster she can go right now as Ive been waiting to make a certain run at a hill and finally got it without traffic and she was pushing all she got. time to start saving for a BBK!
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Dirty carb, maybe, but the symptoms don't seem quite right. Float level issue - sticking loose needle or a punctured float that doesn't, uh... float - seems more likely. One more Suspect is a cracked, leaky vacuum line or a sticking automatic petcock - but with that or a petcock issue it would take several minutes at idle to stall. The bowl has to drain. Next time it stalls that way, crack open the drain screw and measure how much fuel flows out.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

will do Wheelman. there is actually a new station in lake oswego that is now selling the non-ethanol fuel and as how the other closest one is a good 30 mins away in a car. I will actually start running that as soon as I finish the fuel I got in my can in the garage. but like I said she is running great for 8k+ miles and Ive been running her hard. since I got it in april or may whenever it was Ive put on around 1500 miles and its only stalled maybe a 3-4 times and those other than last night have been on pretty steep incline that I ride every day from work. and It hasnt had a chance to warm up yet so Im not to overly concerned. Im gonna run it hard til winter and throw in a BBK and have her ready to fly again in the spring. at that point Ill deal with the carb or get a new one to go with the BBK. this was my return trip home last night and I think I coulda done it faster time wise got tied up in some traffic. for the locals it was from inner SE to Tigard and theres no way to go about it with out going up some monster hills.
Attachments
photo.PNG
photo.PNG (92.6 KiB) Viewed 2309 times
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Shazam! Another Holy Grail Award for making 1 MPH per cc. Good job tuning.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Sweet! That's cruising pretty good!