Engine gasket installation

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Engine gasket installation

Post by Kevinstonge »

Hey guys, just curious if there is a secret or better way to install paper gaskets for metal to metal surfaces so that it's easier to remove when changing the next time.

I've had a couple ch80 engines apart recently and realized every time I've disassembled one in the past I've had a b**** of a time removing the paper gaskets( usually with a razor blade, sand paper, abrasive scrubby) I've always installed them dry and on super clean surfaces. Also never had one leak on me with this method. I guess if I HAD to choose I'd rather have a b**** of a time removing the gasket and have no leaks, than have a seeping gasket that's easy to remove..

Any comments are appreciated.
Wheelman-111

Re: Engine gasket installation

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I always slather a generous amount of Harley-Davidson Hi-Temp Multi-Purpose grease to both sides of the dry paper. Any grease will do, but this is what I've had on hand for almost 15 years... This serves three purposes:

1. The gasket is rendered a bit tacky and so stays in position better when you start fumbling with mating parts and fasteners,
2. The gasket starts soaking in Petroleum right away and from all sides instead of soaking it in from the "wet" side only. You can get away with less-than-perfect mating surfaces if the gasket is moist and pliable and the grease pre-fills the defects.
3. Best of all, when it's time to take it apart, it splits like Buttah. Sometimes so easy that I can re-use the gasket.

Your mileage may vary. You don't have to do this. It's just what I do.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thanks sir wheelman. I have heard of using engine oil on the gasket before installing, but I was skeptical of doing so. I like the hi temp multi purpose approach. Much appreciation my friend.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Ive used hi temp brake grease it has worked well. I have been using my ipone synthetic 2 stroke oil because its there in my oil can for assembly and it has been working extremely well also. As wheelman said the grease does a great job of holding the gasket in place during assembly. So sometimes I'll soak the gasket in 2 stroke oil and use grease to hold it from sliding around :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I use my 927 slather em up good and install. Haven't had any problems yet.
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Copper spray is awesome for paper gaskets on the engine as well. I use high temp grease per wheelmans regime on them if there isn't any copper spray available.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

LoveMyHonda wrote:Copper spray is awesome for paper gaskets on the engine as well. I use high temp grease per wheelmans regime on them if there isn't any copper spray available.
Ooooo I diddnt think. Of copper spray. I like that one. I have spray greae I should try that as well. I love when we all share these little tricks :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'm not familiar with Copper Spray. My experience using engine oil is that it eventually dries out and coagulates, causing the gaskets to bond to the surfaces and tear upon removal. I've never had H-D grease do that.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Permatex copper spray a gasket that can be found at most parts stores. It's good for high temp apps where there may be leaking gasket. The copper coating helps it seal if you allow it to cure properly.
Kevinstonge
Elite
Elite

Post by Kevinstonge »

Thanks lmh! Never thought to use it on paper gaskets. I'll have to try that out as well.
speedy25
Goped
Goped

Post by speedy25 »

I have never used ANY sort of sealer/oil on any gasket on a Japanese engine. Any gasket I have installed and had to take apart later came off easily, usually with no damage. I think since you may have been the first one to remove those gaskets after 25 years, they were hard and stuck to the surface, which is normal.

My preference has always been dry. You are welcome to try anything you like.

-SP
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

i always give my 2 stroke paper gaskets a good smear of 2 stroke oil befor install .Ive never had a air leak and never had a gasket that ive fitted rip when removing them
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1