variator 1993 elite

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

george19
Noob
Noob

variator 1993 elite

Post by george19 »

Hello
Im trying to get to the variator on my 1993 honda vision to put new rollers in, ive taken the crank cover off and was wondering how to keep the drive cog still while undoing the bolt that holds it on? do i need a special tool for this?
also can anyone tell me if the variator is restricted? it is the af05 engone
I'd be really grateful for any help you could give me
Many thanks
George :coolcruise:
Red Eft Performance
Elite
Elite

Re: variator 1993 elite

Post by Red Eft Performance »

You can get creative with a strap wrench or a chain wrench.

But really the easiest thing to do is use a impact gun.

I use a battery powered torque driver on mine. But taking it off fot the first time might take something with a lillte more power.

Keith
Red Eft Performance
To benefit forum members REP will beat the price of any legit/active Business/website

Elite, Dio, Aero, AF16/AF05 Cylinder kits,Clutches,Variators,Belts,CDI boxes,Reeds,Clutch bells,Pipes
Malossi,Polini,Fabrizi,Anything!

View products click => Here
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings, George:

Clutch Holder tools, an oil filter strap wrench, even fabricated brackets to lock one of the teeth of the outer pulley have been used for this minor snag. That 14mm Nut is on pretty tight and needs to be. U.S. Forumistas may not be able to tell you about Restrictations on 1993 Vision sold in England, but perhaps someone in Merrie Olde can.

It's probably OK, but not Honda-san Approved to use a rattle gun to remove the nut. Just don't EVER use it to remount that nut.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
george19
Noob
Noob

Post by george19 »

Thanks for your replies guys, an impact gun did it perfectly

Wheelman-111 wrote:
It's probably OK, but not Honda-san Approved to use a rattle gun to remove the nut. Just don't EVER use it to remount that nut.
What would happen if I used it to remount it.... :confused:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Whacking it on - or OFF, for that matter - introduces sharp rotational forces that at least in theory can misalign the crankshaft. Remember, the whole thing is pressed together. The pressures are very high, but Thwak-Thwak-Thwak- and the flywheel on the drive side could rotate a few microns off-axis at the big end journal. The Black Art of Crank Truing uses deadblow hammers and very precise measurements to get it Just Right. I don't think you want to risk Honda-san's perfect assembly with ham-fisted application of hap-hazard torque. Anyway, the Service Manual says not to. The nut on the 05 crank needs 45 ft-pounds if memory serves, and it's wise to follow instructions on this critical part.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH