Spree upset me

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Spree upset me

Post by edoggdoremus »

I was driving back from work last night going top speed when all of a sudden my 1986 Spree started acting funny. I was going full throttle when the engine started making a different noise. It sounded like it was all of a sudden running at much higher RPMs. It did that for a couple of seconds and then the Spree just shut off for a half a second, then it shot back on and rode normal again. A couple minutes later the engine did the same thing and my Spree shut off again, like i had all of a sudden hit the kill switch. It didn't bog down or nothing, it just sounded as if it was running at very high RPMs then just shut off. I tried to get it started again but had no luck. Any suggestions? Carb was completely cleaned two weeks ago and i had also replaced the spark plug.
hondaman
Elite
Elite

Post by hondaman »

Is your plug wire attached tightly. Sometimes they pop off when you hit a bump.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

sounds liek your carb bowl is getting empty
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

I'll take a look at it in the morning. Does any of this explain the sudden increase in RPMs though? It seemed as if the engine could not handle the RPMs and just kill switched itself. At least one good thing came out of this though, tonite after work was extreme downpour, high winds and thunderstorms, don't think i'd of enjoyed the 8 mile trek home in that kind of weather sitting on my honda spree.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Woah. That sounds like overheating to me. Is your oiler working, and is it filled with 2-stroke injector oil?

If the oiler's out, fix that now b/f it burns up the scoot.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

yeah and it also sounds like what my scoot did. I burned a piston and scored the * out of the walls of cyl due to oiler not working.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

Sometime, if I can find them, I'll post pics of my chainsaw's old cyl. and piston. :D I bought it on eBay as a parts saw. Turned out some moron didn't mix their gas for a $500 chainsaw, and instead, put 2 stroke oil in the bar oil tank. It was scored so bad, the rings had deep scoring on them. I couldn't even get the piston back in the cylinder it was scored so bad. I bought another cyl., piston, and crank, but that was bad. :D

I once mixed gas for a cheap weedeater I had laying around with veggie oil instead of 2 stroke oil. I read that motorcycle racers years back, with 2 strokes, would use veggie oil for higher rpm's. Well, I already had drilled the muffler on the weedeater, and took a lot of aluminum off the top of the exhaust port for higher rpms. With the veggie oil, it was lubricated just fine, but it ran at such high rpm's, it melted the cheap plastic recoil assembly into one piece. Luckily, I hade 2 spare parts trimmers for that one. :D That was my brushcutter trimmer, which I made an adapter to mount a circular saw blade on the end. Blade was rated at like 6k rpm, but that trimmer must have done 10k. :D I know that they make brushcutters, and I have a real one (STIHL) that is my good string trimmer, but I just wouldn't abuse a $300 trimmer like I would a free one that cost $70 new. :D

Ok, sorry to pull this so far off topic. :D
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

how would i go telling if the oiler has gone bad on me, or if any other damage to a piston or something.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

oiler is working and is full, got a new spark plug again, used started fluid, cleaned out entire carb, checked petcock, everything is fine. Problem is it just doesn't start. confusing because it had been starting first try for a month now and was running great. I don't know much about small gas engines so if it did overheat when i was riding it, what damage could have been made and would this prevent it from starting? could maybe the kill switch be messed up aka somehow is stuck in the off postion? I am out of ideas.
2strokerAce
BMX
BMX

Post by 2strokerAce »

If you have a spark then your kill switch is fine...
<b>Scooter: 1989 Honda Elite E
Moped: 1978 Batavus Starflite HS-50
Noped: 1978 Honda Express NC50
Noped: 1982 Honda Express NC50
Wanted: 198x Honda Spree</b>