2005 Honda elite ch80 with no spark , please help someone .!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

2005 Honda elite ch80 with no spark , please help someone .!

Post by fastcat1977 »

I have a Honda Elite Ch80 a 2005 , has very good compression , was running , but wasn't running great , I've done a valve adjustment and it was running better , I had used a jump box on it quite a bit to get it to start better , even after buying a new battery . Finally I developed no spark , I did all the test and it showed that the coil /stater was bad , so I replaced the stater with a brand new Honda one , which was expensive and it came with the pulse generator also , the starter is spinning everything you can hear it and see it turning the fan on the magneto/flywheel. does anyone know what I could have fried or melted using the jump box , the ECM/CDI was also purchased new , tried both the old one and the new and still no spark , So , new stater coil , CDi, pulse pickup ,has the old ignition coil because it tested good withing the correct ohms . Does anyone know of anything else that can happen to these scooters from hooking a jump box to them over and over . I'm actually willing to pay someone $20.00 if you can help me get this figured out , Ill send the money through pay pal to you if you will just please help me solve this , I work on a lot of bikes , but this has got me stumped ..!!!! :newb:
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Re: 2005 Honda elite ch80 with no spark , please help someon

Post by kevinv710 »

have you tested it w/out ignition coil cap? you can do it to see the color/length of spark or not at all.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Yes I sure have , its not getting anything with out the cap on or off , thanks please keep helping me trying to trouble shoot, any help will be much appreciated ..!! :coolcruise:
kevinv710
Spree
Spree

Post by kevinv710 »

kill engine switch? ignition switch? have you check them with ohmeter,
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

I'm thinking it must be the ignition switch , it says with the key off I should have continuity between the black /white
and green wire , and I don't. but I do have continuity when its on , between the black/white and green wire .

Then it says with the key in the on position I should have continuity between the black and red wire , and I don't , but when I turn the key off , I do have continuity between the red and black wire . It must be the problem , the entire ignition switch is working in reverse to what the manual says , done this very carefully to make sure I was correct and even checked it twice to verify and I have continuity in the reverse order of what the manual says , so I'm gonna say it must be the ignition switch , just maybe this could be it , hopefully
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Does anyone know of anything else that can happen to these scooters from hooking a jump box to them over and over
If the jump box is accidently connected reverse polarity from normal, the Rectifier/Regulator often is fried.
This can lead to discharged batteries, blown fuses. If the user puts in a larger than normal fuse, or bypasses the fuse, then
occasionally a failed Regulator causes melted wires.

Use of a jump box should have no impact upon the ignition function, nor cause failure as the CH80 ignition uses no power from the battery.

Then it says with the key in the on position I should have continuity between the black and red wire , and I don't , but when I turn the key off , I do have continuity between the red and black wire . It must be the problem , the entire ignition switch is working in reverse to what the manual says , done this very carefully to make sure I was correct and even checked it twice to verify and I have continuity in the reverse order of what the manual says , so I'm gonna say it must be the ignition switch , just maybe this could be it , hopefully
Let's verify what you are measuring:

1) If there *is* continuity between black/red with the ignition switch OFF, then your tail light will be on and turn signals will operate if actuated. Thus the battery will discharge until dead with the IGN off. Is that true?

2) If there *is an OPEN* with the ignition switch ON, then your starter will not operate normally, as both the brake light circuit and the starter button rely on +12v batt switched (Black wire must be powered) to pull in the starter relay.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I don't have a CH80, but on all my Honda scooters, the black/white wire is the kill wire, it must be "open circuit" not grounded to have spark, when you turn off the key or when you turn off the handlebar kill switch, that wire is grounded and spark stops. The green wire should be a ground.
It is my opinion that the black/white and green wire section of your ignition switch should be open circuit (no continuity) when ignition switch is on and closed circuit when off ( has continuity). This is the circuit that stops the bike from having spark.
It is my opinion that the black wire /red wire section of the switch, should be closed circuit ( has continuity ) when ignition switch is on and open ( no continuity) when off, this is the circuit that provides positive current to everything that needs it while running. The red wire should have voltage all the time and the black wire should have voltage with the key on.
My opinions are based on the scooters I have, your CH80 could vary.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Here is the schematic I'm referencing , surely Its not incorrect , please help..!
Here is the schematic I'm referencing , surely Its not incorrect , please help..!
download[1].png (202.06 KiB) Viewed 9951 times
I posted the schematic from the manual , here is what I'm going by pic is attached , thanks everyone for helping me , I hate an electrical problem ...!!
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

And what I'm getting is exactly opposite of this pic , black/white and green on my bike show continuity only when the key is in the on position , then the black and red wire show continuity only when the key is in the off position , this is the weirdest thing I've seen , please continue to help me ..!
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

If the switch logic is reversed, then the scooter has been mucked with after it was produced or replaced with a differently wired switch harness (clone maybe?)

At this point, you could just swap the offending circuits to the opposite switch pole to fix your issue.

-
What I was pointing out is with the Red/Black OPEN with IGN on, you could not get the scooter to crank even with a jumper box, with the ignition on.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

I'm maybe thinking the switch'es internal working got fried cause the bike did run just about 2 weeks ago , I even drove it around , nothing has been changed on the wiring since then , if the switch connector was reading 2 weeks ago the way it is now , it wouldn't have started much less ran , I've ordered a switch with my fingers crossed , oh by the way when I unpluged the black and white wire from the CdI , the bike sparked fine , so maybe the ignition switch has failed , hopefully , thank you guys for everything ...!!
LMH
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by LMH »

Just disconnect the black wire with a white stripe if you think the switch is bad. Fastest way to find out. I bought a jog for next to nothing because the guy couldn't figure out what was wrong and it was only a bad kill switch. Removed the black w white wire from the cdi and got spark instantly.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

So are you thinking its the ignition switch or the kill switch, thanks so much..!!
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

You could simply unplug the CDI and ignition switch, then check the black/white wire to make sure it has no continuity to ground, that wire must be open circuit.
Then reconnect the CDI, leaving the ignition switch disconnected, then jump the black wire to red wire , this will simulate the key in the on position, hold brake lever make sure brake lights work ,push starter button and check for spark. Don't skip or modify these steps or the test is invalid.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
fastcat1977
Noob
Noob

Post by fastcat1977 »

Will do, thanks so much ...!