starts, idles 3 or 4 secs., stops

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

starts, idles 3 or 4 secs., stops

Post by mikehailwood »

Thanks to all who have helped so far. First, no spark. Problem solved. Next , needed carb part. Problem solved. Now the motor starts, runs for a few seconds, and stops. No cutting out or anything. It just stops running abruptly. It will not start again unless I let it sit for 10 minutes or so, or unless I remove, clean the plug and reinstall it. The plug isn't particularly wet - a little gas/oil ring around the white part. The float bowl seems to have gas. I can remove and ground the plug immediately after it stops and it will spark. I checked the air filter and it has one but when I began to remove it, it disintegrated so I ordered a new one. Carb has been thoroughly cleaned and I saw light coming through both jets prior to installation. However, I intend to inspect the carb passages again. Nothing will be done until I receive my new air filter next week. Your thoughts? Mike H.
Jamie_Miles
Goped
Goped

Post by Jamie_Miles »

Try spraying a little starting fluid in it and see if it will rev up. Don't use to much though cuz it's hard on the rings and piston.

Also may want to try a new spark plug if you haven't already. My Spree did something similar once so I got a new spark plug. Problem solved.
Comeing soon: Possibly the fastest Spree in the world...
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

I have tried starting fluid and the results were the same.
vette76
CB900F
CB900F

Post by vette76 »

if the filter disinigrated then that was probably the problem if it was in that bad a shape.thats my guess.
00' sa-50 slammed and stretched
89' elite sb, with a 99' af16, (SOLD)
87' spree (SOLD
87' mustang gt vert kenne bell, irs.
90' mustang notch turbo drag car
12' wrx
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

How's fuel flow to the carb? Have you tried a new plug?
mikehailwood
Goped
Goped

Post by mikehailwood »

I have discnnected the vacuum and fuel lines down by the carb. When I suck on the vacuum line I get plenty of fuel. Seems okay, although the carb probably would not generate quite that much vacumm I would guess. I have been working with a new spark plug. So I looked over my carb and found my idle jet to be clogged again. When I get my fresh air filter, I'll try to fire it up again. Thanks for suggestions.
brsacjab
Noob
Noob

Post by brsacjab »

had the same problem, it was that the carb pilot jet was clogged. It would start and idle for a few secconds on fuel from the choke alone.

Your getting gas to the carb, the pilot jet needs to be cleaned out with a pin.