1986 Gyro Growl

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sonny123
Noob
Noob

1986 Gyro Growl

Post by sonny123 »

Hi; The last time I rode my Gyro I notice a growl coming from the rear of it. I don't believe I had heard this before but you never know. It is still there when I push it and it sounds worse when you push it backwards. I checked the tranny fluid and it was full. I was going to drain it and refill with new oil but can not figure out how to do it. The service manual tells you everything but how to drain it. What do you have to do stand it on end and drain it out the check level hole? Has anyone else had this growling noise or has it always been there and I just haven't paid attention to it any opinions? I have the gas drained and bat out for winter and I thought it would be a good time to do some touch up on it then I remembered the growl and thought you guys could give me some ideas. Thanks Dennis
motormike

Re: 1986 Gyro Growl

Post by motormike »

The only thing i can say is that the growl is not normal... :?:
Yes, you drain the gear oil by removing the plug on the rear and to the right of the cylinder.... :wink:
Let me add that I hope to never have a growl coming from mine.
Fear of splitting cases... :nervous:
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
sonny123
Noob
Noob

Post by sonny123 »

Thanks I was afraid that I might have a big problem but wanted some input. I don't know if I will try and fix it or not. Parts are hard to come by, might just sell it or part it out. Thanks Dennis
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I have had my 84 Gyro apart, it's not that complicated, but I had to use RTV as gaskets were never located.
I would venture a guess that it is either a burned up bearing or toasted gear.
Let us know what you find, and post pictures, ( I like pictures ).
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
sonny123
Noob
Noob

Post by sonny123 »

I started looking at it again and wondering if it might have sat to long. I haven't rode it in a couple of months. So I figure if it is broke lets just see how bad. So I put the bat back in and some gas. Took off shifted good and ran great !!! I rode it about 5 miles and did not hear any kinda noise. So I don't know it if it set and the clutches got a little sticky or what but I like the way it goes know. So I hope I won't have to take it apart later but I will sure keep my eyes and ears open. Thanks for the input everyone it is nice to know that there are people out there that can help and have some ideas on what could be wrong with these fun little bikes !!! Thanks Dennis and keep them going!!!!