1981 express 50 stuck in "high gear"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ddw350
Goped
Goped

1981 express 50 stuck in "high gear"

Post by ddw350 »

so ive done some searching and really havent came up with much...my 81 express 50 has NO low end..guess the belt is not sliding down into the groove? really hard to take off from a stop.i know its freezing cold here but its a good time to get started for spring! i havent really tore anything apart yet,i parked it last fall and that was it. im figuring on some sort of clutch work is needed? thanks for any input!
whitey
Spree
Spree

Re: 1981 express 50 stuck in "high gear"

Post by whitey »

Is it a moped or scooter? If it's one of the small mopeds it doesn't have a belt, it has a chain inside the case with oil. Do you see an oil drain plug? If its an urban express it does have a cvt trans with a belt. Or if it's an express SR it has a cvt also. On those old mopeds the spring in the rear pully can bind up and not work properly. It could have gotten some oil in there and cause the belt to slip.
01 Honda Elite S 120cc Taida H20
78 Honda Hobbit Athena
78 Honda Express/Hobbit Stage6/Athena LC 70
00 Gilera Runner PM Tuning 172
09 Aprillia SR50 Malossi Team MHR
81 Puch ZA50 Polini
71 CT70 Blue
79 Z50 Red
motormike

Post by motormike »

ddw350 wrote:...my 81 express 50..... i havent really tore anything apart .......clutch work is needed?... thanks for any input!
You should identify your Express for us to give advice... :smile:
If it is model "NC50", ...it has a single-speed, chain-drive system.
If it is model ""NX50M" ...it has a CVT, belt-drive system.
It shows only 82-83 for the "NU50" & "NU50M", but they are also CVT, belt-drive.
The problem with your transmixer will depend on which kind it is.
Possibly a clutch center spring if it is the belt model.
G'luck...let us hear back... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ddw350
Goped
Goped

Post by ddw350 »

sorry guys,i was a little lacking on info..its a nx50 scooter. belt drive. i went to a shorter belt,but to no avail...thats the ol golf cart trick for more low end,but didnt work well on the scooter.overall it runs great,does a whopping 30mph! almost..
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

if it were me id pull the variator and driven pulley off and service both. the driven pulleys get gummed up and dont like to work right. that will also give access to the centre spring as Mike mentioned. the centre spring should be a easy fix if its worn out. i have a tutorial on how to disassemble the driven pulley i think its in the wiki. the variator boss could be jamming not allowing variator movment keeping it in "top gear" a jammed up roller could lock the varitator up in on spot as well. i had a woen out centre spring in my aero 80 make it shift up way too fast i had very little bottom end. replacedit with a yellow dio malossi spring and it was a whole new machine.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
ddw350
Goped
Goped

Post by ddw350 »

hmmm that sounds exactly what mine is doing..up shifting way to fast! when i get time ill take it off and look for the tutorial.ill also get the correct belt for the machine when i do this instead of my "quick auto zone grab a belt and throw on" method i did....the machine def got worse the more i drove it!
motormike

Post by motormike »

Your "belt change" was likely a factor in increasing the problem rather than helping it.
Still, though, there was a problem before you changed belts.
I say going back to the correct belt is a good idea.
Hope you find an obvious and easy fix... :urban:
RideRed
<Gyro S><MB5><Honda Navi><Helix><Sym Wolf><Yamaha Razz><Honda CH150 Deluxe>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
ddw350
Goped
Goped

Post by ddw350 »

and where can i find a yellow dio malossi spring? i seperated the driven pulley this eve with just my hands,and it just kinda stayed there,didnt return like i though it would...