Oily mess inside Clutch cover - 1986 Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eif
Noob
Noob

Oily mess inside Clutch cover - 1986 Spree

Post by eif »

Bought a running spree last week, noticed it had very little torque and figured the clutch was fried. Removed the left side cover to find it coated in what I believe to be two-stroke oil. Belt looks OK and I am on my way to get a clutch puller. Motor idles and revs well, somewhat smoky but it has been sitting for many years. No weird noises at crank or top end.

Is there a gasket known to go bad internally and allow oil into this area of the case?

Wheelman-111

Re: Oily mess inside Clutch cover - 1986 Spree

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Could it be 10W-30 instead? The rear gearcase is full of the stuff, and the clutch shaft seal and/or the cover gasket could have been mis-installed or failed. There's oil in them-thar crankcases too, especially if the pump has leaked a drop a day for 2-3 decades. But that much oil would prevent it from even starting. Could be either one, I suppose, but my money's on the tranny leak theory. Aside from these two issues, nothing else can leak that much oil in there.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
eif
Noob
Noob

Post by eif »

Checked the gears via the bolt in the middle of the case. It's full up to the hole, but I need to flush it out as well. I've got two cans of engine degreaser now and hopefully after I get the clutch out I will be able to find the leak.

Also noticed my starter gear is just hanging there, not a good thing either.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

With the cover off, the starter gear (I assume you mean the little cylindrical Bendix assembly...) is supposed to just hang there. It's other-end socket is in the cover. If you mean the front pulley's outboard sheave, no; that one's tightly splined to the crankshaft. Once you find the source of the leak, go a step beyond and try to see WHY the seal failed. Most commonly a bent shaft, if it wasn't installed incorrectly and the rubber's not just fried from heat and time.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I'm with wheelman, I'd want to find out why the seal failed. I don't think I've seen that issue in my travels though the board. It would be a real bummer to get it all done up with a new seal and possibly new clutch only to have it happen again. I wonder is possibility someone overfilled the final drive case causing premature failure. If someone put the scooter on its side and filled the final drive case all the way up therefore putting the oil level above the level of the seal allowing that oil to seep out around the seal.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
eif
Noob
Noob

Post by eif »

Got the clutch out. Not surprisingly, the friction material is completely gone. Our new Honda shop parts guy said he'd take a crack at finding an assembly to fit. Clutch cover is clean now and inside of case is in better shape.

Tomorrow I will pull the gear cover and see whats going on. The gasket for the clutch cover was shot & the gasket is no longer available from honda according to this new dealer. There may be some high temp sealant in my future...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The gasket thickness is worked into the formula for clearance of the electric and kickstarter and using Goo sealant will cause your Bendix to bind and not spin. Gaskets are easy to make. Buy the gasket paper from any autoparts store, trace the cover onto it and get Exacto-busy to carve your Masterpiece. Slather liberally with Hi-Temp grease and it'll come off undamaged any time you need to take another look. Put a WTB ad for a good used clutch. I'm confident you can find one here for a fair price.
Wheelman-111
kennedy759
BMX
BMX

Post by kennedy759 »

another way to make a gasket is use the peen end of a ball peen hammer, buy the gasket material, lay it over the cover and peen lightly around the edges and you have a gasket
eif
Noob
Noob

Post by eif »

Clutchquest continues.

With the number of Sprees out there, I'm surprised there is not an aftermarket supplier actively promoting their replacement clutch shoes for the spree.

Waiting on a decent day here in the northeast to get back to work. There was snow this morning...
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I saw a set of shoes new on fEeBaY the other day.
Wheelman-111
eif
Noob
Noob

Post by eif »

For $100 bucks, including shipping, I now have a clean and re-shoed clutch. Found a shop in NJ that did it in a couple days.