High pitched noise/bogs down

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

scootacris
Noob
Noob

High pitched noise/bogs down

Post by scootacris »

Hey guys,
I have an 85 Spree that was running great, but one day after riding for a few minutes I started to hear a high pitched noise and the scooter bogged down (like 15mph). I thought the sound was coming from the alternator area but I could not pinpoint it. It starts up fine, but once it warms up a bit the sound is back and mass loss in power. Its currently in pieces because Ive purchased the 48mm big bore w/21mm carb, so I can not test it out at the moment. Was hopping one of you might know whats going on?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: High pitched noise/bogs down

Post by MrJumps »

scootacris wrote:Hey guys,
I have an 85 Spree that was running great, but one day after riding for a few minutes I started to hear a high pitched noise and the scooter bogged down (like 15mph). I thought the sound was coming from the alternator area but I could not pinpoint it. It starts up fine, but once it warms up a bit the sound is back and mass loss in power. Its currently in pieces because Ive purchased the 48mm big bore w/21mm carb, so I can not test it out at the moment. Was hopping one of you might know whats going on?
Might be a bad crank bearing, but I would wait for at least 2 more people to respond.
Wait to keep that big bore off until you find it or you might have to order new gaskets.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sounds like a seizure to me. What does the cylinder and piston look like? Take a Look at the crank case and make sure there is no debris in there. I'd check the condition of the reeds, I wonder if the motor sucked something in the intake. You want to get to the cause of the issue before installation of the new cylinder. I would check the Stator and make sure nothing is rubbing the flywheel as well. Was the airbox attached when it made the noise, how is the air filter element?
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Might be a bad crank bearing, but I would wait for at least 2 more people to respond.
Wait to keep that big bore off until you find it or you might have to order new gaskets.[/quote]
If you soak the base gasket in 2 stroke oil thoroughly before installing it, you can pull the cylinder over and over again. I reuse head gaskets over and over as well. If you torque the head bolts properly it should be fine.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

patthesoundguy wrote:Might be a bad crank bearing, but I would wait for at least 2 more people to respond.
Wait to keep that big bore off until you find it or you might have to order new gaskets.
If you soak the base gasket in 2 stroke oil thoroughly before installing it, you can pull the cylinder over and over again. I reuse head gaskets over and over as well. If you torque the head bolts properly it should be fine.[/quote]

Thanks for that tip, ive always just brought or made new gaskets for everything.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Sometimes I will even put a coat of hi temp brake grease on the gasket after soaking it in 2 stoke oil.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
scootacris
Noob
Noob

Post by scootacris »

patthesoundguy wrote:Sounds like a seizure to me. What does the cylinder and piston look like? Take a Look at the crank case and make sure there is no debris in there. I'd check the condition of the reeds, I wonder if the motor sucked something in the intake. You want to get to the cause of the issue before installation of the new cylinder. I would check the Stator and make sure nothing is rubbing the flywheel as well. Was the airbox attached when it made the noise, how is the air filter element?

Piston is black. There was a lot of water in the motor at one point. I'm putting in a different crank along with the new piston, Ill be sure to clean well. I purchased a used stator as well.
scootacris
Noob
Noob

Post by scootacris »

Wait to keep that big bore off until you find it or you might have to order new gaskets.[/quote]

Crank is coming out anyway because I jacked up the threads pretty bad taking off the flywheel. My friend tried to fix with a die but jacked it up worse.
scootacris
Noob
Noob

Post by scootacris »

patthesoundguy wrote:Sounds like a seizure to me. What does the cylinder and piston look like? Take a Look at the crank case and make sure there is no debris in there. I'd check the condition of the reeds, I wonder if the motor sucked something in the intake. You want to get to the cause of the issue before installation of the new cylinder. I would check the Stator and make sure nothing is rubbing the flywheel as well. Was the airbox attached when it made the noise, how is the air filter element?

The air filter was the stock air unit, clean filter
paulpauly7
CB900F
CB900F

Post by paulpauly7 »

could have been the belt slipping causeing your squealing noise and loss of power .
86 Nifty Fifty (spree)
ZX disk brake
Kitico 120kmh speedo
AF18 ZX ported
Polini corsa
Malossi crank
CTmani
24mmOKO
40pilot118main
Scorpion pipe
8.44 to 1
Michelin s1
71.3mph
92 yz125, 94 crm250
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

paulpauly7 wrote:could have been the belt slipping causeing your squealing noise and loss of power .

Yes that could be a cause for sure, maybe the center spring is weak or the belt is toast or both. Which might be an easier fix than a roasted cylinder. :smile:
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
scootfast
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by scootfast »

That's what my corsa did right before it locked up. I had an air leak in the exhaust. Smoked the piston big time. Ride and learn.