86 spree slipping

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

86 spree slipping

Post by MrJumps »

I can hit 25 easy on flat ground with a crap takeoff.
Having to kick it off to go, but any uphill riding is an instant stop and high revving with me rolling backwards down the hill.
I noticed it looked like the clutch was engaging at a higher rpm and the belt felt like it was slipping.
Any advice would be rather great!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sWbJZQ-wAE
patthesoundguy

Re: 86 spree slipping

Post by patthesoundguy »

Did you put a bigger jet in that carb? I'd that is the 68 jet in that carb, that scooter will not likely go anywhere. Did you put a little extra two stroke oil in the tank. Did you heat cycle yet. Are you following break in procedure? It's hard to see if the belt is loose in the video because it might be the shutter speed catching it moving and making it look like it's flapping in the wind. Measure the belt width and check it against the manual specs. Lock the rear brake and pull the throttle, you will see real quick if the belt slips. You could have clutch issues as well. After checking for belt slippage, may want to pull the clutch and have a look. The clutch pads may be worn or need de glazing with sand paper. The clutch pads or weights as they are called may be sticking and not moving as they should which would make the clutch inoperable or only partially operating. You may need to pull the clutch springs and check to see if the weights are moving freely. You want to make sure you don't go full wide open too much until you break in that top end. And if you haven't up jetted the carb you need to do so asap so you don't seize the new top end. You are close to rippage I can feel it :-)
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

patthesoundguy wrote:Did you put a bigger jet in that carb? I'd that is the 68 jet in that carb, that scooter will not likely go anywhere. Did you put a little extra two stroke oil in the tank. Did you heat cycle yet. Are you following break in procedure? It's hard to see if the belt is loose in the video because it might be the shutter speed catching it moving and making it look like it's flapping in the wind. Measure the belt width and check it against the manual specs. Lock the rear brake and pull the throttle, you will see real quick if the belt slips. You could have clutch issues as well. After checking for belt slippage, may want to pull the clutch and have a look. The clutch pads may be worn or need de glazing with sand paper. The clutch pads or weights as they are called may be sticking and not moving as they should which would make the clutch inoperable or only partially operating. You may need to pull the clutch springs and check to see if the weights are moving freely. You want to make sure you don't go full wide open too much until you break in that top end. And if you haven't up jetted the carb you need to do so asap so you don't seize the new top end. You are close to rippage I can feel it :-)

Its a 90 jet in the carb, it pulls hard, I broke it in the way ive always done it. Ive dumped a little extra oil in the tank. The belt really is flapping around like crazy. It looks like the clutch isn't shifting either.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

OK so sounds like you need to replace the belt and then service the driven pulley. On the spree that rear driven pulley doesn't "shift" so to speak like a variated trans does. If the center spring isn't strong enough and or the pulley isn't sliding properly it won't take up the slack in the belt and keep it tight. Grap hold of the outer pulley half and pull it towards you and it should be hard to pull against the center spring but move freely. Those rear pulleys tend to stick. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bad belt and a pulley that needs service. Not hard to fix at all :-) head to the wiki and check out my tutorial on driven pulley service
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

patthesoundguy wrote:OK so sounds like you need to replace the belt and then service the driven pulley. On the spree that rear driven pulley doesn't "shift" so to speak like a variated trans does. If the center spring isn't strong enough and or the pulley isn't sliding properly it won't take up the slack in the belt and keep it tight. Grap hold of the outer pulley half and pull it towards you and it should be hard to pull against the center spring but move freely. Those rear pulleys tend to stick. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a bad belt and a pulley that needs service. Not hard to fix at all :-) head to the wiki and check out my tutorial on driven pulley service

Where could I get a new belt from? Honda wants $60 for one, and that's a big no. :(

Also, I wanna replace the spring in the "clutch" with one better fit to the hills around here, what would you suggest?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

I ordered a new belt from partzilla and new contra and clutch springs from Ebey. Should be in by next wednesday. Gonna pop mad sick wheelies.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Okay I put the new belt on and had the spree actually driving for its first time in 25 years. Well after 51 miles exact the belt is almost completely worn again. I live in a very hilly are, its a 18 hole really nice golfcorse with tons of steep inclines. i got home and decided to give it check and sure enough the whole clutch cover and are had a solid dusting all around of the new belt. The belt is a oem belt, new, good quality. Any ideas?
swimmingfree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by swimmingfree »

some thing is out of lineament ...not sure how to find out and dont rember if there was a washer on the spree drive set up eather..
swimmingfree
handicap (dyslexia)
looking for
se50 crank...

SpreJunk 87elite in a spree body
ruckus variator , 3.5 tire , 1500 drive face spring , a 64 bbk ,
8 gram rollers, stock carb , after market air filter and 105 jet
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

How frustrating that must be. I feel for ya. Snap some closeups of the trans at the crank and driven pulley and maybe there is something we can see to help you out. We gotta get you up and running :-)
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

patthesoundguy wrote:How frustrating that must be. I feel for ya. Snap some closeups of the trans at the crank and driven pulley and maybe there is something we can see to help you out. We gotta get you up and running :-)

Im starting to feel sick but I will next week.

Theres a washer behind the driven variator, then the belt goes on then the kickstarter plate with teeth then a washer and nut.

On the clutch there is no washers. just the clutch, then belt, then the nut.

Hopefully that helps

I ran another 30 miles today and the belt is gone. Im thinking the clutch isn't opening because the top speed ive gotten ever with the belt new was 26mph.