stock spree rebuild kits

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

fairlead
Goped
Goped

stock spree rebuild kits

Post by fairlead »

Sorry for the absence. My sprees ran good a couple of years and I forget stuff I learned. I recently sold my special 86 to a friend, 16lanlev which of course threw the cyl three days later. I and a friend purchased 3 stock kits from a "partsdiscounter" on ebay, all of which have failed. A couple years ago I was told to see chopchop123 for a quality replacement, but I see he doesn't offer them anymore. Any other sources? Or do I have to go with the 48mm big bore kit? If so what else needs changing to make it work. I am not a speed merchant and am a lover of stock stuff. Thanks for the info, fellas, and throw my boy 16lanlev a bone; trying to teach the next generation the secrets of the NQ! He's proving himself a heck of a mower mechanic so far. :2thumbs:
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
09 Nautilus "Seahorse" (homebuilt)
10 Nautilus "Seabrook" (homebuilt)[/color]
79 Honda Express
67 Harley~Davidson golf cart
patthesoundguy

Re: stock spree rebuild kits

Post by patthesoundguy »

Drop chop chop a message and ask about those cylinders. He may just be waiting on more stock. He is tazland001 here on the board. Fabulous to deal with. I had ordered one of those cheap cylinder kits myself just for the heck of it. It was crappy. The base gaskets aren't proper they need to be cut to match the ports or the cylinder won't breathe right. And the real issue is the bore isn't cut right. The cylinder doesn't have the same diameter all the way through the bore. I bet if one took the piston and a bore with the piston to cylinder clearance specs from the manual to a machine shop one would walk away with a proper kit. But if you can get a good kit from chop chop that would be the way to go. A big bore kit is also an option but the airbox needs to be modified and you will have to premix feul and oil in the tank and run the oil pump from that point forward. A larger main jet will also be required and is sometimes included with a big bore kit.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

As usual, Pat, thanks. I messaged him on ebay today, so I'll wait and see what he says. Why both pump and mix though? Cant you grind off oil inj pump gear and just run straight mix? I did that to my 85, and I am not sure if it is the reason, but it is the best starting, smoothest running spree I've ever owned. However I realize they are like kids and each is very different. Is the airbox mod covered somewhere in this site?
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

fairlead wrote:As usual, Pat, thanks. I messaged him on ebay today, so I'll wait and see what he says. Why both pump and mix though? Cant you grind off oil inj pump gear and just run straight mix? I did that to my 85, and I am not sure if it is the reason, but it is the best starting, smoothest running spree I've ever owned. However I realize they are like kids and each is very different. Is the airbox mod covered somewhere in this site?
You can most certainly grind the teeth of the pump. Not everybody wants to do that to a pump in case they want t go back to the stock setup is why I laid it out that way. Straight premix is way better and then you can use the oil tank for a spare fuel tank. The air box mod is there somewhere. An elegant way is the filter plugs from uni http://shop.unifilter.com/c/accessories_air-vents or just drill a bunch of 1\2 inch holes in the air box lid. Taz had it figured out how many and had it laid out in his instructions with his big bore kit. His instructions were pretty fool proof. Install the kit, swap the main jet, mod the air box, premix in the tank , break it in and rip like mad. I had a bbk on my spree until it inhaled a reed stopper spring and cooked it. That kit was great! And would have lasted a long time had it not choked on metal bits. Did 40+ no prob with the 1/2" wide belt on it. Man I miss that setup. I love my dio swap but I really liked the single speed spree for some reason. And I'm going to do my other spree up with a stock top end and then back to a bbk.
84 Spree stock
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
fairlead
Goped
Goped

Post by fairlead »

Taz says he's out of stock kits for a few months, and Im guessing the boy won't want to wait, so perhaps the BBK is for him. I'm sure he'll love the speed. We will keep you posted!
85 Iowa Spree
86 Spree Limited Edition
79 Honda Express
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

You won't get any extra top speed out of the bbk unless you change the gearing. Easy enough though. You do the pulley mod or the wider belt or gears. The extra bottom end will be so much fun and makes it safer I think, it will have the guts to get out of harms way.
84 Spree stock
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock