Will not turn over, just "clicks"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

iowaspree
Noob
Noob

Will not turn over, just "clicks"

Post by iowaspree »

I have a 86' Honda Iowa Spree that will no longer start.

The lights and turn signals work, but when I press the start button, the only thing that happens is a clicking noise that comes from the 'starter relay'. The battery is fully charged.

I was just going to try and find a new starter relay and see if that works, but first I thought I would check online for any suggestions.

(All I have for tools is a small home repair tool set, no electrical testing equipment)

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Also, I recently replaced the muffler and one of the bolts was stripped so bad I couldn't get one of the nuts back on, it's a tight fit now, but I'm not sure it will last long with just one nut on there. I can't exactly replace the bolt because it's attached. Any help with this would also be appreciated.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Will it kick start? Also you can remove the stud that is stripped and just use a bolt.
deathwish
Spree
Spree

Post by deathwish »

i had that same problem a long time ago, u need a new starter relay and that should fix it and u may want to check ur regulater because thats the reason that mine burnt, bad regulater/rectifier
Wanna kno how to keep an idiot busy for hours look below

Wanna kno how to keep an idiot busy for hours look above
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

CLICKING RELAY

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE FULL VOLTAGE TO THE RELAY. EVERYTHING CLEAN AND TIGHT.
2. YOU CAN POP THE METAL COVER OFF THE RELAY AND CLOSE THE POINTS BY HAND TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE WORKING. IF EVERYTHING IS OK, THE STARTER SHOULD SPIN.
3. THE CLICKING SOUNDS LIKE THE POINTS ARE WORKING, BUT THE VOLTAGE IS TOO LOW TO SPIN THE STARTER. SAME THING HAPPENS IN A CAR WHEN THE BATTERY VOLTAGE IS TOO LOW
4. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE TIGHT CONNECTIONS TO THE STARTER MOTOR AND THAT THE STARTER MOTOR IS SECURELY BOLTED TO THE ENGINE FOR A GOOD SOLID GROUND.
5. THE STARTER ITSELF MAY BE FROZEN. TAKE IT OFF AND SEE IF IT TURNS FREELY. HIT THE STARTER BUTTON WITH THE STARTER REMOVED FROM THE ENGINE AND IT SHOULD SPIN RAPIDLY
gwillis
Noob
Noob

Post by gwillis »

I had a real mess on my scooter here. Before you go any further ... STOP!

Pull the starter bolts and see if you can turn the start by hand. If not, you will need to bebuild it (if you still can. Powering a frozen starter can fry the wiring.)

I rebuit mine, and it was easy. Disasemble starter, clean and sand inside of casing, use WD-40 like a hose to wash all parts, reassemble, spin with hand to make sure it works, reconnect electrical (but still not mounted), shazam!

If it doesn't power dismounted but hocked electrically, get a meter on the wire to see if you have power. No power -- check relay.

If it works until you mount it, then your starter pinion is rusted (mine was.) Had to bebuid that as well.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Lots of guys burn up the starters trying to start bikes with other problems. Really common.

That exhaust stud should be removable...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

thats what happened to mine: when taking the nut off the stud actually came out with it, so I just used a bolt instead.