Lots of Smoke

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

GF Spree
Noob
Noob

Lots of Smoke

Post by GF Spree »

Every morning I start my '87 spree it smokes like crazy for about 1/2 mile. If I dont run it for a couple of days it smokes for even longer. Is this goin to damage anything? Please Help! Thanks
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

SMOKING IS A BAD HABIT, BUT NOT ALWAYS FATAL

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE SOME TYPE OF FUEL OR OIL LEAK INTO THE CRANKCASE AND IT TAKES A WHILE TO BURN IT OUT. IT MIGHT FOUL THE PLUG OFTEN, BUT SHOULD NOT BE DEADLY.
DISCONNECT THE FUEL LINE NEXT TIME YOU FINISH RIDING AND SEE IF THE PROBLEM PERSISTS. YOU MAY HAVE A STUCK FLOAT AND FUEL IS DRIBBLING INTO THE CARB AND DOWN INTO THE ENGINE.
ANOTHER AREA IS THE OIL INJECTOR PUMP THAT MIGHT BE DRIBBLING OIL INTO THE CRANKCASE.
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Is this a sign of the oil pump not workin?
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

no just leaks a lil
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
ejames81
Noob
Noob

Post by ejames81 »

that is a very good suggestion by denmanshaffer. that is a inherited characteristic of suzuki fa50 and that family of mopeds. i had a fa50 that would keep dying and when i checked the reed valves, i looked by accident in the block and noticed all the oil in there. that was after i changed every possible part that could be defective, from a bike that ran perfectly. make sure you decarbonize or you could ruin a piston and cylinder. that's what happens with all that oil being in there.
yamaha qt50 doesn't have that problem, or any moped that the oil goes in the carb, a better design.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

mine smokes like that, but runs fine. Probally normal.