NQ50 Bad Bystarter?

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

john.t
Noob
Noob

NQ50 Bad Bystarter?

Post by john.t »

Hello everyone,

Backstory:
I bought my 86 spree two weeks ago, it wouldn't idle and i found that the PO had replaced the bystarter, left the extra tail of wires on rather than cutting it down to size. The extra wires came loose, contacted the exhaust which melted the insulation and shorted out the bystarter. I trimmed the wires and soldered them together, readjusted the idle and air screw to manufacturers recommendations, and the spree ran like it should.

Now:
Two days after the fix, the spree would sometimes idle really high (to the point where the transmission would engage and the bike rolls around 2-3 mph), I tried bringing idle screw out but it didn't do anything. After high idling a while (sometimes 30 seconds, sometimes 1-5 minutes), it will gradually rev down to a normal idle speed. Today, the scoot wouldn't start, it would turn over and over. Finally i bought some starting fluid, sprayed it into the carb, hit the starter, coughed twice and fired right up. I drove it around town at mostly WOT to clear it out, and every time I stopped, it seemed to alternate between the high idle and the normal idle.

Sounds like the bystarter is bad to me. Input? Also, is there any instances of people replacing the bystarter with a manual choke to avoid the issue?

[img]file:///C:/Users/John/Pictures/2015-07-15/IMG_0653.JPG[/img]
1986 NQ50 Spree Stock Red
1985 NQ50 Spree Stock Red- Non-running.
patthesoundguy

Re: NQ50 Bad Bystarter?

Post by patthesoundguy »

You need to trouble shoot the bystarter. It doesn't sound like that's the issue. Sounds like the idle airixture is very lean. Set it and the idle speed according to the manual procedure. The two settings rely on each other in order for the the motor to start and idle properly. Do the vacuum test on the bystarter you'll know very quickly if it's not functioning.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock