Elite not rolling

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rowe94
Goped
Goped

Elite not rolling

Post by rowe94 »

I just purchased a Honda Elite 50 and I've come across my first problem... The thing has been worked on i dunno exactly what but I am pretty sure it has a big bore kit on it. I know he did something with the exhaust because its louder then most motorcycles and this thing is fast. The problem happened on my way to the store I stopped at a light and it died on me. It seemed as though it was still stuck in gear and it wouldn't roll I dunno if the belt is sticking or what is wrong with it but it was slightly annoying. When i got home i tried to roll the back wheel and it wouldn't turn so I'm guessing its still engaging but I dunno. Any help would be awesome!

Mark
motormike

Re: Elite not rolling

Post by motormike »

Does the engine still start and run ?
RideRed
<(2)Gyro S><Helix><Sym Wolf>
"Live Large - Ride Small"
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The rear brake pivot cam can get really sticky. If you braked for a light, it could have jammed. Also when the pads wear down the cam can "flip" - or at least that's what my 1971 CT 70 did. The only other thing that could keep the axle from turning is the transmission. How'd you get it home, anyway?
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

I am able to kick it over still the wheel just turns. It's really weird. It's like the belt isn't disengaging. Not really sure exactly what's up. I don't think it's the brakes I think it's more the belt
motormike

Post by motormike »

I am suspecting some broken springs in the clutch...and keeping it fully engaged. :imo:
RideRed
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

So I took the evening and tore the moped apart. First time doing it. I checked the front where the rollers and everything is... But everytime I tried to spin the back wheel it would try and turn the motor over... I couldn't figure it out. But eventually I got sick of trying and checked my friends moped and turns out the back wheel is suppose to turn freely... I felt stupid. I probably wasted close to an hour and a half on the front. Anyways I was wondering how do I get the dumb screw off the back. And what should I be looking for. What would cause the moped to not allow the back wheel to spin freely? Thanks everyone for the help. I can't wait to fix my first problem! I'm guessing there will be a decent amount because of all the work done to this bike. But for 300 I guess I can't complain.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Gosh it's hard to decide whats wrong with this but I have to go with the belt and front pulley (variator) are jammed somehow-maybe the rollers are out of their tracks and stuck against the ramp plate???
First off-what year and model elite are we discussing here? That would also be helpful as this unfolds.....Hang in there Mark. Maybe read-up in the service manual>>>>> http://hondaspree.net/wiki/index.php5?t ... ce_Manuals
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
motormike

Post by motormike »

If you find nothing wrong with the clutch, then the gearbox needs to be opened up and inspected for bearing and gear wear.
Not knowing what kind of scooter you are working on makes it hard to reply accurately.
You may have an external bearing on the muffler side of the rear axle as well.
You are correct in assuming the wheel should spin freely.
RideRed
rowe94
Goped
Goped

Post by rowe94 »

So I'm in the process of the best way to remove the clutch bell. (I think that's the right term). I'm pretty sure one of the clutch springs must have broken or something in back so that the clutch isn't disengaging. If one of my springs were to have snapped what kind should I buy? The front has 6g rollers. Not sure anything else. I ha e a purple elite from 2001.