Clutch cooling

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

DeanP
Spree
Spree

Clutch cooling

Post by DeanP »

I'm wondering how cooling the clutch helps with the clutch. I saw Johnny248 cut his up to allow cooling but am wondering how it really helps.
I am noticing after riding a couple hundred miles that my clutch engages sooner than what it was before. Will cooling it help this out?
scootfast
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Re: Clutch cooling

Post by scootfast »

DeanP wrote:I'm wondering how cooling the clutch helps with the clutch. I saw Johnny248 cut his up to allow cooling but am wondering how it really helps.
I am noticing after riding a couple hundred miles that my clutch engages sooner than what it was before. Will cooling it help this out?
Its because it's heating up and xpanding.
scootfast
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by scootfast »

scootfast wrote:
DeanP wrote:I'm wondering how cooling the clutch helps with the clutch. I saw Johnny248 cut his up to allow cooling but am wondering how it really helps.
Its because it's heating up and xpanding.
And there is a breaking in period.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

So I guess I'll have to readjust my clutch which means the next set of springs...
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

All of the larger Honda Scooters, NH125,CH150,CH250 have clutch/ variator cooling systems factory installed, they have fan fins on the fixed variator half with inlet ducting and outlet ports.
I dont know what you are running, but Honda seemed to think it was inportant enough to include that cooling system on the large scooters, so perhaps some cooling is in order for the modded smaller scooters as well.
1984 Aero 125 57 mph for sale.

Elite 150 64 mph for sale.

Elite 250 77 mph. for sale.

Red Honda Grom, modded to 250cc, 87 mph.

GSXR 1000 168 mph. My new favorite, scooters seems way too slow now.
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

Maybe before I change out my springs, I'll keep the clutch cover off and see what happens.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

On many scooters the clutch cover is bolted and dowelled to add strength to the engine case, I know many guys run without the cover, but I have seem several who have hit potholes and broke the engine case in two.
Word to the wise, if you run without the cover, stay away from curbs, potholes and off roading.

Hope the added cooling helps your scooter.

curtis966
Elite
Elite

Post by curtis966 »

I have never seen any thing but a gy6 case brake from not running a cover. And that's the entire cvt cover, not a halfer. And it's made in China
86 Aero 50,Polini 65cc BBK,malossi oring head,100 oct. 32:1
21mm OKO,Malossi Wild Lion exhaust,
Stock Ruck vari, malossi special belt,1.5k shoes,1k center,
aftermarket bell, front/rear metro wheels, TT vapor,
5in stretch on motor mount,280mm Shock.
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

I agree that the GY6 breaks, but so does the Spree. I have not seen an Aero broken yet.

johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Johnniespeed wrote:On many scooters the clutch cover is bolted and dowelled to add strength to the engine case, I know many guys run without the cover, but I have seem several who have hit potholes and broke the engine case in two.
Word to the wise, if you run without the cover, stay away from curbs, potholes and off roading.

Hope the added cooling helps your scooter.
That clutch cover is bolted down with bolts and rubber grommets. I don't see it adding much strength to the case. If you look at the case, it has a lot of structural webbing casted into it, and it also short which helps in strength.

The clutch gets very hot, and the friction material is basically like a brake pad or shoe. When brakes heat up beyond their heat range,they lose grabbing power , which turns into brake fade. This is why the have racing brake pad formulas, and they generally don't work well until they reach that extreme temperatures. Friction materials have a temperature range they are meant to operate in. They don't act the same when they are too cold, or too hot. When they are in their range they work how they are designed to. These clutches are run MUCH hotter than the original was designed to run. On a stock bike, you don't need all the extra cooling since you are not grabbing at 6000 rpm+ , nor are you running the same power through the transmission or the same RPM's. Once you add power everywhere, the original design doesn't allow for enough cooling for the clutch to be happy.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Johnny is precisely right. The stock clutches are too small to begin with, and adding mods only stresses them more. It gets downright hot behind the belt case - I've had a cheap Chinese belt delaminate at speed. NOT fun. Take the rear cover off altogether, or artfully carve it to remove most of the material, as we've recently seen. Cover probably won't work at all if you have a bigger ZX rear pulley.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
Johnniespeed
Elite
Elite

Post by Johnniespeed »

Johnny 248, I don't know which scooters you are referring too, both the CH 150 and CH 250 are rubber grommeted on and I agree they would not add any structural strength, my comment was directed at smaller scooters whose covers are bolted and dowelled on, by removing those covers the assembly is weakened, which will not be an issue unless a pothole or impact happens.
I am not opposed to additional cooling, nor am I opposed to cover removal, but some covers are part of the structure and avoidance of potholes is important.
I did not take any pictures of the broken GY6 or the broken Spree engines, but have seen several of both, so I am positive the breakage occurs.

johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Johnniespeed wrote:Johnny 248, I don't know which scooters you are referring too, both the CH 150 and CH 250 are rubber grommeted on and I agree they would not add any structural strength, my comment was directed at smaller scooters whose covers are bolted and dowelled on, by removing those covers the assembly is weakened, which will not be an issue unless a pothole or impact happens.
I am not opposed to additional cooling, nor am I opposed to cover removal, but some covers are part of the structure and avoidance of potholes is important.
I did not take any pictures of the broken GY6 or the broken Spree engines, but have seen several of both, so I am positive the breakage occurs.

I can only only speak for the AF05 and AF16 engines. I'm not familiar with the other ones. From what I have sitting here, the clutch cover "may" provide some bracing/strength, but I don't see it being a make it or break it structural part. I can't speak for other scooters. At least on the AF16, I think it would be EXTREMELY difficult to break this case.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
DeanP
Spree
Spree

Post by DeanP »

My AF18 motor clutch cover is only bolted on with no dowels. I'll try taking it off later next week to try the cooling effect.
maddog
CB900F
CB900F

Post by maddog »

If you use cheap springs you will get heat-fade, I use Daytona products= 1 less post!
some people dream of speed, i own your dreams!