Need help w/ 86 spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Need help w/ 86 spree

Post by bradthreee »

Hello to everyone, my name is Bradley :oops: . I just picked up a spree this weekend with 600 miles and I'm having trouble starting it up. I've gotten it started but it dies out after about 5 seconds. So far I have replaced the oil and tranny oil, drained the fuel tank, put in a new plug, cleaned the carb, cleaned the petcock, and put in a new battery. The only thing that I found missing was the air filter, but I just ordered a new one from the dealership. Would not having an air filter cause the motor to die out? If not does anyone have any ideas of what my problem could be. Tonight I will check the bystarter and test to see if it works. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

Air filter wont keep it from idleing..just going down the road...clean clean clean the carb..take it apart and clean it..its the number one killer for sprees.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I also forgot to metion that it blows out white smoke, if that helps any?
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

its normal..should mellow out once you get the carb cleaned..my guess it running lean so it getting more oil than fuel making it smoke a lot.
vonchuk
Goped
Goped

Post by vonchuk »

Ditto, It starts with the extra fuel from the bistarter and as soon as the bistarter closes it dies because there is not enough fuel from the carb.
sprees, ciao, gilera 124, 62 vespa, yamaha 650xs
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I took the carb apart and cleaned it very well. There was still some white stuff clogging one of the screws inside the carb, but I cleaned it and now I can see that there is a little hole through the middle of that screw. Do I need to tighten that screw all the way down or do I need to give it a little play? After putting it back together I tried staring the spree and now the motor just doesn't want to turn over. I'm still convinced that it's a fuel problem. I'll keep you guys informed and thanks for the help!
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

just snug, dont get crazy with it. make sure the screws are adjusted right too.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Can I find these adjustments on this site?
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

tech docs
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

I cleaned the * out of the carb today and I took the auto bystarter to the honda dealer and they told me that it was bad. So I ordered a new one from them and I cost around 50$. I had seen a few used ones on ebay and they sold for around 30$ so I figured I'd fork out the extra 20$ for a new one. The white smoke that was coming out I pinpointed as being the muffler, So I'm going to use the procedure found on the tech docs. Thanks for the help and I'll keep you guys informed!
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

OK so now I finally got the thing running, but it doesn't idle too well. I put the new autobystarter on and decarbonized the muffler with NAOH just like on the tech docs end no more white smoke. I rode it around the block a few times and when I stop it dies out. I also adjusted the throttle cable and it still doesn't idle. I adjusted the air screw 1 &1/2 turns and the other adjustment screw 1& 7/8 turns. What can be the problem now? It also didn't want to go over 25MPH. Any help would be appreciated.
uspmale
Spree
Spree

86 Spree

Post by uspmale »

Idle jet clogged for sure.
bradthreee
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by bradthreee »

Exactly where is that located and how should I clean it?
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

bradthreee wrote:Exactly where is that located and how should I clean it?
If you are asking this, then you didnt clean the carb right and thats why you are still having issues.