87 spree questions from a noob!

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kingpin
Noob
Noob

87 spree questions from a noob!

Post by kingpin »

Hey guys, great site. I just became an owner of an 87 spree that had been sitting for about 5 years. I took off the plastics and air cleaner box along with some other odds and ends to get it cleaned up and running. I noticed a few things wrong with the scooter. After replacing the battery and throwing in some fresh gas, I went ahead and tried starting it. I got the scooter running and all sounded good. I began to open it up WOT but it constantly wants to die out on me. I have to put my hand over the carb to get gas to the motor. Will it run better with the air cleaner and box back on it? I ask because I dont want to bolt it up and pull it off again. lol (lazy, I know) Second thing I noticed was when I took it down the street it winds out a lot but doesnt realy go anywhere. Do I need a new belt? Clutch issues? There is 6000 miles on the scooter. I can fix whatever is wrong, Im just looking for some ideas to point me in the right direction. Again great site and thanks for the help. G :D
speedyspree
BMX
BMX

Post by speedyspree »

ive got an 87 and the air box should be on and idk bout the other prob im gonna say its the clutch and to be safe id change the belt too
85 spree honda cb 125 and 2 pocket bikes(for sale)
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

clean clean clean clean clean clean the freaking carb. rip the * apart and clean it GOOD. Number one spree failure right there. The air box needs to be on going down the road..but at idle its fine.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
-aL-
Elite
Elite

Post by -aL- »

and you should definatly check the belt
Ridin' Dirty on one of my 1989 Honda Elite E's
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

-aL- wrote:and you should definatly check the belt
and check the clutch pads too while youre at it.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
kingpin
Noob
Noob

Anyone got a belt and clutch shoes in good shape for sale??

Post by kingpin »

I called my honda dealer and they cant get parts for a week or so. I would like to replace it quicker than that. Holla back. G