Blinker problem 87 elite 50

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

Blinker problem 87 elite 50

Post by 4x4offroad »

Ok this might sound dumb...

I just installed LED front blinkers today and when i push the button left/right both blinkers come on and blink. I have no rear blinkers. What is also weird....they quit blinking and just stay on at higher rpm's. When it idles back down they start blinking again.. Im puzzled

And also i was going to hook up my new tail/brake light. But when i pull in either brake the brake light does not come on. The tail light works. My problem is the person i bought the scooter from dumped it many times, thats why it dont have blinkers or tail lights.

Does anybody know the colors of the wires for the rear blinkers and tail/brake lights and where they go? Mines all (hicker billied up)

Thanks so much
Jimmy
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

turn signal wire is baby blue and orange and green is always ground. just match up the colors and plug them into the sockets
1986 Honda Spree w/ pulley mod clocked in at 37mph hauling 175 lbs. Don't believe me? lets race!
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

and if they dont have plugs on them strip the wires and twist the ones that go together and put a wire nut on the twists
1986 Honda Spree w/ pulley mod clocked in at 37mph hauling 175 lbs. Don't believe me? lets race!
4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

Post by 4x4offroad »

Thanks

I have the front blinkers hooked up right.

What color is the tail/brake light wires?
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

The problem is the LED bulbs, the flasher unit only works under the correct bulb amperage (the LEDs draw too little.) You need to get a flasher unit that works with LED bulbs. Check with an autoparts place.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

Post by 4x4offroad »

So this is why both blinkers flash at the same time? And they quit blinking at higher rpm's?

Jimmy
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

Sure you are drawing enough current with the LED's? I had some issues with LED's on my '87 Elite 50; I used some LED running lights for front blinkers.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.
4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

Post by 4x4offroad »

se50,
What kind of issues did you have with the led's?

I bought these led's from the motorcycle shop and they are for a 12volt system. I've put these same lights on a CBR F3 i had and no problems.

They flash great...but at the same time.... And they quit flashing at higher rpm's but remain lite. I was told i can wire in a (car/truck) flasher. If this is true, do i need a 3 prong or 2 prong? The OEM plug that goes to the flasher now has three wires.

One other thing...i have the blinker wires figured out in the back. For the tail light/brake light there are 3 wires im seeing yellow,green,brown does this sound right?

Thanks
berreta22
Elite
Elite

Post by berreta22 »

noiseguy wrote:The problem is the LED bulbs, the flasher unit only works under the correct bulb amperage (the LEDs draw too little.) You need to get a flasher unit that works with LED bulbs. Check with an autoparts place.
I had to use a capicitor to use the led blinkers because they are brighter and require more current.
1987 Spree 4400 miles 32 mph stock with my 285lb ***
4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

update

Post by 4x4offroad »

I got my hands on some stock oem blinkers. Hooked them up and they do the same thing the led's do....both blink at the same time. But the side that i select to blink on the switch is brighter then the other. What causes this? Does any buddy know where the grounds are? I have peeled all of the electric tape off of the wire harness to look for burnt or broke wires and found nothing.. I've called all my local honda cycle shops and they know nothing. In need of help

Thanks
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

i think its time for a new wiring harness :)
vonchuk
Goped
Goped

Post by vonchuk »

Do you have the rear blinkers hooked up? The blinker can not work unless it has the proper electrical resistance in each circuit. This requires both front and rear lights.
sprees, ciao, gilera 124, 62 vespa, yamaha 650xs
4x4offroad
Noob
Noob

Post by 4x4offroad »

This has been such a pain in the * for no reason! Vonchuk, soon as i hooked up the rear blinkers it works perfect. I even have the LED's up front and the stock blinkers in the rear and it works great.

Thanks for all the support
reckless504
Goped
Goped

Post by reckless504 »

duh! that makes the complete circuit! lol