What is the best variator to pair with zx transmission

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

wwolvert
Spree
Spree

What is the best variator to pair with zx transmission

Post by wwolvert »

Trying to get more acceleration out of my af16 I ordered a zx transmission next I'm going to get a variator and could use some input on the best options
Thanks
bonesv

Re: What is the best variator to pair with zx transmission

Post by bonesv »

Polini for ruckus is bigger than the Polini for Dio and it will work better for the zx set up. Need a zx belt and some mods to the belt cavity for clearance. Search zx trans! or look it up in the wiki-spreedia
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Yeah I have been doing research today I think I'm going to go with the ruckus polini variator and I'm aware I will need to remove some material I guess I'll will find out every thing I will need to do once I get the trans
johnny248
Elite
Elite

Post by johnny248 »

Like they said, from what I've read, the larger Polini for Ruck seems be a good option for the ZX setup. What kind of Clutch setup are you using? I noticed a huge improvement with accel when I installed the Polini Clutch with some stronger springs in it. Really let the engine get into the power before engaging and taking off. I'm on the standard S trans though.
..:ÔÇó┬░ 1994 HONDA ELiTE S SA50P - Original Owner ┬░ÔÇó:..
~UNDER CONSTRUCTiON~
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

I have a prodigy power clutch on it right now but I plan on replacing it with a polini 3 shoe clutch.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings;

The much-bigger ZX rear pulley needs as much front pulley diameter as possible to reach top speed. The Polini-for-Ruckus is 95mm, not bad. But I found a random "Brand X" front variator that was 97mm. I'm still not sure whether or not it was a Malossi product, but it was pretty good in the low-end and midrange as well as letting my unported Corsa F 3.26 see the high side of 71 MPH. Someone with a Malossi Ruck variator can confirm if that item is indeed 97mm.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

Ok so I changed my mind I'm going to get a malossi multiVar and a Phongeer drive face.
Now I need to know if polini rollers will work in the malossi variator I want to get a kit of rollers since I have never tuned a variator befor and I won't get it on the first try.
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

Yes only the size of the rollers matters, not the brand. I have used Malossi roller weights in Polini varios and vice-versa. For whatever it's worth, the Malossi rollers seem the most durable though not by a lot. Italian stuff in general seems to last longest.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
wwolvert
Spree
Spree

Post by wwolvert »

I got my malossi ruckus variator today and it is indeed 97 mm thanks wheel man for all your help