bike not moving after exhaust swap

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

89hatcher
BMX
BMX

bike not moving after exhaust swap

Post by 89hatcher »

ok so I just swapped out my v8 for a sef replica pipe. changed weights and jetting for the sef copy pipe. af16 block, corsa bore, 28mm polini carb, stage 6 manifold, Kelly variator, sef ramp, 7g weights, 1500 center spring, 4k clutch springs, malossi Kevlar belt, zv trans, malossi bell. i try to throttle it and bike creeps up slowly and wont move and just revs. i full throttle it ad still all noise and creeps forward slowly. what could be the problem? what do i need to adjust on it? gonna try play around with it after work today to see if i can get this pipe to work.
Wheelman-111

Re: bike not moving after exhaust swap

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

If it was working OK before the swap, it should at least crawl now - UNLESS one of the mounting bolts is fouling the rear tire.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Did you swap all of that stuff at the same time as the pipe? I would think that possibly the clutch is jammed or something to that effect. Wheelman is totally on to something as well. Does it rev up freely or does the motor sound like it has a load on it.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

Make sure your pulley isn't jammed against the case , take it off and look for scratches where the otter part of the pulley would run. Check to make sure your belt is the right size and its not just slipping on your pulley. And also put it up where the back wheel is off the ground and try turning it by hand and if its hard to turn your gears may be binding if you replaced them recently. I'm gonna assume you check to make sure your variator was not too heavy. Try moving everything by hand that way in case its something major you wont hurt it by running it.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
89hatcher
BMX
BMX

Post by 89hatcher »

gonna recheck everything again tonight when I get home. basically it was working fine, I just swapped the exhaust and it fired up right away. reved it and tried to throttle it and just revs. like its stuck. gonna try put it on the stand and see what happens to the belt when I rev it up. was thinking that the clutch springs are too stiff. and not engaging the clutch to the bell
89hatcher
BMX
BMX

Post by 89hatcher »

Friend told me I might have to go lighter on my weights. Said that's the chamber in the pipe might have to be filled in order for the bike to move. Was able to get the bike moving and had to Rev and Rev the bike. All I can say is that when it gets moving this s*** moves quick. Gonna try fine tuning the low end on it. Friend rode it and he was probably going 60mph and he's about 300lbs. I'll try and update once we get this thing running right
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I'd like you to specify if you ONLY swapped the pipe or if you installed some other components from your list in the first post. The transmission cover MUST have a gasket or the countershaft ends get squeezed and the shaft can't spin freely. Just by taking off the belt cover you can check quite a few of the suggestions others have made, but you can start with spinning the back tire on the stand. If it's easy to turn, your trouble lies with the belt/variator/rear pulley assembly. I can't imagine a clutch spring that's so strong that the clutch won't engage at all. With VERY heavy variator weights, a light Contra spring and a trio of heavy clutch springs, sometimes the variator starts shifting before the clutch engages, making it have to take off in "5th gear". If the belt isn't shimmed to be tight at the front pulley, it'll just slip until the revs get high enough to shift the variator. Start it with a drill in reverse, carefully inspect all these possible issues and the problem will appear.
Wheelman-111
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

If your clutch pads are worn out then the bell should be a nice, royal blue color by now.....
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
89hatcher
BMX
BMX

Post by 89hatcher »

bonesv wrote:If your clutch pads are worn out then the bell should be a nice, royal blue color by now.....
clutch pads are brand new not even 50 miles on them.
Wheelman-111 wrote:Greetings:

I'd like you to specify if you ONLY swapped the pipe or if you installed some other components from your list in the first post. The transmission cover MUST have a gasket or the countershaft ends get squeezed and the shaft can't spin freely. Just by taking off the belt cover you can check quite a few of the suggestions others have made, but you can start with spinning the back tire on the stand. If it's easy to turn, your trouble lies with the belt/variator/rear pulley assembly. I can't imagine a clutch spring that's so strong that the clutch won't engage at all. With VERY heavy variator weights, a light Contra spring and a trio of heavy clutch springs, sometimes the variator starts shifting before the clutch engages, making it have to take off in "5th gear". If the belt isn't shimmed to be tight at the front pulley, it'll just slip until the revs get high enough to shift the variator. Start it with a drill in reverse, carefully inspect all these possible issues and the problem will appear.
pretty much just swapped pipe over no other parts switched over or changed. no trans cover because the malossi delta bell is too big for the cover to fit, if I put it on the center stand and rev it the wheel starts to move forward and spin. Im gonna try lighter weights and see if the variator can shoot out fast and grab the belt sooner
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

I think we have our heading. Vintage snowmobiles used the drive face both as variator AND clutch. But the Honda design moves the Clutch function astern to a proper drum and friction shoe assembly, leaving the belt in a tight grip at all times, even at idle. Yours apparently is not, leading me to believe your front pulley boss is too long for the belt you're using. The variatior only "shoots out" when the clutch is fully engaged, to upshift as the revs climb once underway. The belt grip tightens further as the contra compresses in higher ratios, decreasing slip as the effort to part the wind increases. Genius!
Wheelman-111
89hatcher
BMX
BMX

Post by 89hatcher »

weired I have a complete zx driveface, zx boss and zx trans. and a malossi zx belt
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

The ZX belt is 18mm wide. The ZX boss from Polini is 36mm even, while the S/SR boss is 33.11. Check to see if someone left a shim washer behind the boss. The only other thing I can think of is an outer pulley not fully seated on its splines. Hope they're not crushed.
Wheelman-111