85 Spree hard to start-runs good warm

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

85 Spree hard to start-runs good warm

Post by Weezerjerry »

Hello, bought an 85 spree and am having some issues. I've only had it 2 days, it started up fairly easy when I was looking at it. It seemed to run really well while I rode it.

I get it home and it's really hard to get it to start when it's cold (not that cold since it's 95┬░ where I am right now). Once I do finally get it running she seems pretty solid for most of a tank at a time. I've jumped it with my car for a little more juice and not really had any better luck. I have to hold the start button down for way too long to get it to fire and I'm worried about damaging the starter or flooding the engine.

Any thoughts? Once it's warmed up it starts pretty easy maybe 2-3 seconds on the starter.

I'm hoping this will be reliable enough for my 5 mile commute.

Also I was told it has a big bore kit but I'm not sure really what that means or if that changes anything.

Thanks for the help!
patthesoundguy

Re: 85 spree really hard to start when cold but runs fine on

Post by patthesoundguy »

Don't despair, I bet you can get this sorted out. Download the manual. Then follow the procedure to set the idle air mixture and idle speed. See if the cold starting improves. Also give the little guy a good once over, checking the Airbus and have a look at the air filter element. The reason why it started for you when you bought it was the previous owner warmed it up before you arrived. That idle air mixture screw would be out about 1 1/2 to 1 7/8 turns from seated or all the way in to start then fine tune from there. If that doesn't help you need to pull the carb off and give it a good cleaning. There is a small hole the float bowl that must be clear for it to want start cold. A five mile commute should be no problem for spree that's all gone through and the normal maintenance items looked after. If you find you are happy with the scooter as is, I don't recommend going with a bbk unless you really need the extra bottom end grunt. Properly set up.and tuned the bbk can be reliable but but the stock set up works well for your needs leave it stock and enjoy it.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Thanks for the response! I was wondering seeing if it was a carb adjustment.

It already has the bbk installed by the previous owner unfortunately not the stock setup which honestly I would probably prefer since I just want to cruise around.
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Well, I adjusted teh card to "default" settings.... Once I got her started the adjustment screws didn't seem to change the engine speed at all. If I tightened it up all of the way it would try and die but loosening either of them didn't make it rev any higher at idle. after about 5 minutes of wearing out my starter, I can get it to start and it runs what seems like really well to me... goes about 35 (though it is screaming so I keep it around 28-30) and doesn't die at idle or idle high.

Looks like I need to try my hand at a carb cleaning. The airfilter looks good.

Is there any trick that may help get it started faster? Starter fluid maybe? once it seems to catch she stays running and idling great. Does the BBK effect any of the tuning and what not? Is there a specific forum area I should be in for that?

Thanks again for the help!
jerz40
Elite
Elite

Post by jerz40 »

Weezerjerry wrote:Well, I adjusted teh card to "default" settings.... Once I got her started the adjustment screws didn't seem to change the engine speed at all. If I tightened it up all of the way it would try and die but loosening either of them didn't make it rev any higher at idle. after about 5 minutes of wearing out my starter, I can get it to start and it runs what seems like really well to me... goes about 35 (though it is screaming so I keep it around 28-30) and doesn't die at idle or idle high.

Looks like I need to try my hand at a carb cleaning. The airfilter looks good.

Is there any trick that may help get it started faster? Starter fluid maybe? once it seems to catch she stays running and idling great. Does the BBK effect any of the tuning and what not? Is there a specific forum area I should be in for that?

Thanks again for the help!

Try getting it maybe a new BI-Starter, this can sometimes be a problem with these. But, when you mentioned your Spree had a BBK, I remembered that back in January, I had a 84 Spree with a BBK I installed and was very dissapointed with the outcome of it. I had a heck of a time trying to get the thing to restart and had to do the EXACT thing your doing!! You know, if you really don't want that BBK, you can always buy a good used or standard 41mm and put back in the original one, lol. :lol: I see some people on eBay selling the original Jug and Piston Kits that are good for about $60, however for $55 shipped, you can get a brand new standard kit from a seller in Canada on eBay. Good luck! :)
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Sorry, I am really new to this, is a BI-starter just a new/faster starter? Is it possible that it is a choke problem?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

It's just a fancy name for your choke.
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Oh ha! I ordered one this AM since it was cheap and will be here tomorrow, stay tuned!
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

I would have tested your original bystarter before ordering a new one, but that's just me. Clean the carb and test your bystarter. Did you warm the motor up to its full operating temps before adjusting the idle air mixture? The bystarter needs to have closed before you can properly set up the carb. And you need to follow the procedure in the manual to get it right. There is a vacuum test for the bystarter in the manual it will confirm its proper operation. Clean that orifice in the float bowel until you can see light from a flash light through it. Then your scoot should start properly. To start the motor in the mean time do not use starting fluid, it will cause engine damage. If you want to prime it use at least a 50:1 mix of fuel and two stroke oil and put it in an oil can. If you are flexible enough you can reach up under the plastics and choke tho intake of the air box with your fingers while you crank the motor over. Or my favourite trick that I use to richen a mixture for fast starting is plugging the exhaust while cranking a bunch then letting go and cranking again, works well.
Whenever I have a motor that won't start right off the bat, I immediately choke the intake by hand and see what happens.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Re: 85 Spree hard to start-runs good warm

Post by Weezerjerry »

Thanks for the tips. I thought I had the carb all dialed in (still hard to start though)... Rode her for 2 20+ minute rides last night with no issues cruising along at 27-32 MPH (She will go about 37 flat no problem but I don't need to go that fast and don't want to burn her up). Then this morning, I fought starting her (normal) get about 2 minutes down the road and it did what seems to be a soft sieze. When I first bought it I had this happen at 35mph (Didn't realize I was going that fast) twice... Does this mean my bbk is likely toast? Not sure yet why these happened or why it was fine for a few longer runs yesterday but 2 minutes in today it dies going 20mph max...

I am trying to find a shop in the Portland/Vancouver area that will work on a scooter this old... They all seem to want newer scoots. Anyone here on the forums in this area? I will pay to have her looked at if I can find someone.
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Re: 85 Spree hard to start-runs good warm

Post by Weezerjerry »

Also, one thing to note is the scooter has an open air filter... Just some foam looking deal, is that possibly part of my problem as well? I didn't do much reasearch before purchasing, it was kind of an impulse buy... I still think it was worth it but need to get her reliable. :)