Slow Spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

sleeves
Noob
Noob

Slow Spree

Post by sleeves »

So my Spree has only been running at about 20 MPH since i got it. It was sitting for a few years so i have been cleaning everything
to find the issue and trying to get as much info of this site to find the problem. Still no luck but today i pulled off the air intake boot
on the carb and my scooter was flying easily reaching 30 but with the boot on im going 20 max. My air filter box is clean the holes
are not clogged i have a new air filter on it. Anyone have any info with this and what could be my problem? Have put so many hours
into this to so any help would be appreciates thanks.
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Slow Spree

Post by benji »

Sounds like jetting. Is everything stock? What do you want from this bike, just 30 mph top speed? If so, you can burn the carbon from your muffler w a torch to unclog it (or buy a new one) and try buying a jet kit and a carb rebuild kit and going going to town.. a good running spree stock will do 25-30 or so from what I understand.

But it might be better to swap over to a complete running motor that comes w a 2-speed trans like an af16 or af18 or even a later afo5 w a variator. A stock aero 50 afo5e will do better than 40, reliably.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

If your spree runs good without the stock air box get a free flow filter. It is odd for a stock jetted spree to run without the airbox. Did you ever re-jet the carb at one time?

Taz
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Ya...
Maybe bystarter is leaking or stuck open?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

benji wrote:Ya...
Maybe bystarter is leaking or stuck open?
That sounds like it could be the issue. It would need to be super rich for it to run with the Air box off. This or the clogged pipe that was already suggested. Do the bystarter vacuum test that's in the manual. Then bake the pipe
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Probably bake the pipe anyway haha it collects stuff easy.