1984 Honda Spree Carb problem

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

1984 Honda Spree Carb problem

Post by Littlesprite »

I'm brand new to this site and to Honda's in general as I'm more of a vespa enthusiast, but I have the opportunity to purchase a Honda Spree.

I went to take a look at this scooter and the thing wouldn't stay on. It starts, then slowly goes off. You know what I mean, when it's going but then kind of just coughs a little and you know it has something to do with the fuel.

The owner figured it was because it had been sitting for a couple years and the fuel became gunky, and he'd just filled up the tank that morning. That's a standard problem with fuel if it's left to sit for extended periods if time. Nothing some cleaner can't flush out.

I got back to him over the weekend and now he's saying the entire carb needs to be cleaned, but the add claims it was already cleaned out. So.... There's definitely some inconsistency going on there.

He says he doesn't have the money or time to do it himself though, but is firm on his price even though he claimed it is street ready, which it clearly isn't.

I have to drive it home about 23 miles and it needs to be running, no exceptions. Unless I can find someone to help me tow or haul it all the way home.

The problem sounds easy enough to fix myself and even inexpensive enough to pay someone else to do. I'd like to tell him to have his mechanic to just fix it and add the bill to the purchase cost.

But then that opens the door for him to add on more than the repair he actually pays for. Which wouldn't be fair since I'm the one paying for not in the end, when it was supposed to already be fixed.

It's not easy to find anything in my price range right now so I'm trying to figure this out. I know Honda Sprees are more ideal for first time scooter buyers like myself, because they are simpler machines.

It might just be worth it to have it towed to my place where I have control over how and when I fix it up.

I need advice, so scooter friends, what do you think?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1984 Honda Spree Carb problem

Post by eclark5483 »

Sitting for a couple years can gunk it up, but not as much as people would think. Mine was sitting for 15 years with 15 year old gas and oil in it, and I still got it running. With that being said. What I had done to get it going, was of course, drain all the fuel, drain all the old oil and pulled out the air filter and replaced it. My filter was in such bad shape, it actually started to crumble apart. That air box and filter is very crucial. Without it, that Spree either isn't gonna start, or won't run right. So after adding a new (oiled up) air filter, I then put fresh 2 stroke oil in it, then a gallon of half VP110 racing fuel, and half premium ethanol free gas with a shot (1oz) of 2 stroke oil in the gas tank. Tap the starter lightly, don't hold down that button, give it a bit of time, and let it start. Major concerns on old scooters are rubber and seals. You do NOT have to use racing fuel like I did, but for sure, you want clean fuel with no ethanol. If all he did was gas it up, this means there is probably sediment in the bottom of the tank and probably in the lines as well. The only reason I went with VP110 is because it burns cleaner and I wanted to give the ole' girl a good run before tearing it down and replacing 30 year old parts. If you have to drive it 23 miles, you are really really going to want it to be able to run decent enough to make that trip. So you either have to tear into it where you are buying it from, have it towed in on a truck or something, or do your best to ensure your lubrication and fuel is working properly. Now the reason I said put a shot of 2 stroke oil into the tank, is because you will want to go on the assumption that perhaps there are underlying problems with the oil filter with some gunk in it after sitting so long. This will make it run a bit on the lean side, but it should be pretty insignificant. 1 oz of oil in 1 gallon of gas is only like 128:1, think of it as just a little more piece of mind on a 23 mile trip.

Once you get it home, skip the mechanic, come back here and learn how to do it all yourself. Doesn't really sound like the scoot is in too bad a shape. But then that's going by what little info you provided.
swflcarl
Spree
Spree

Post by swflcarl »

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29421

Look at this post... it is likely a clogged pilot circuit. All my scoots that didn't run good well - came right back to life with a good carb cleaning. Get it home somehow, and you can fix this if you have the courage. All the information is here.

Best of Luck.
I'm more than happy to explain it to you. I'll even draw you a picture! But I can't understand it for you.

'86 Spree - Gone
'86 Spree - Gone
'85 Aero 50 - Gone
'94 Elite SR - Gone
'96 Elite SR - Gone
'01 Elite S
'85 Gyro - Its Alive
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Agreed... Get that bad boy back to your house and then with the help of everyone on here rip into it. They are very simple little machines and are awesome to learn on.

I personally wouldn't be keen on trying to ride a scooter of that age that has been sitting for any length of time that far without giving a thorough once over. You dont want to discover the front brake is worn out and next to useless coming up to a van that has nudged it's nose out of an intersection a little too far ;)
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

eclark5483 wrote:Sitting for a couple years can gunk it up, but not as much as people would think. Mine was sitting for 15 years with 15 year old gas and oil in it, and I still got it running. With that being said. What I had done to get it going, was of course, drain all the fuel, drain all the old oil and pulled out the air filter and replaced it. My filter was in such bad shape, it actually started to crumble apart. That air box and filter is very crucial. Without it, that Spree either isn't gonna start, or won't run right. So after adding a new (oiled up) air filter, I then put fresh 2 stroke oil in it, then a gallon of half VP110 racing fuel, and half premium ethanol free gas with a shot (1oz) of 2 stroke oil in the gas tank. Tap the starter lightly, don't hold down that button, give it a bit of time, and let it start. Major concerns on old scooters are rubber and seals. You do NOT have to use racing fuel like I did, but for sure, you want clean fuel with no ethanol. If all he did was gas it up, this means there is probably sediment in the bottom of the tank and probably in the lines as well. The only reason I went with VP110 is because it burns cleaner and I wanted to give the ole' girl a good run before tearing it down and replacing 30 year old parts. If you have to drive it 23 miles, you are really really going to want it to be able to run decent enough to make that trip. So you either have to tear into it where you are buying it from, have it towed in on a truck or something, or do your best to ensure your lubrication and fuel is working properly. Now the reason I said put a shot of 2 stroke oil into the tank, is because you will want to go on the assumption that perhaps there are underlying problems with the oil filter with some gunk in it after sitting so long. This will make it run a bit on the lean side, but it should be pretty insignificant. 1 oz of oil in 1 gallon of gas is only like 128:1, think of it as just a little more piece of mind on a 23 mile trip.

Once you get it home, skip the mechanic, come back here and learn how to do it all yourself. Doesn't really sound like the scoot is in too bad a shape. But then that's going by what little info you provided.

I found a tow and a good friend of mine is helping me give it a good carb clean. For now that's the only problem it has that I'm aware of, besides some cosmetic things. Thank you for the advice! :)
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

swflcarl wrote:viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29421

Look at this post... it is likely a clogged pilot circuit. All my scoots that didn't run good well - came right back to life with a good carb cleaning. Get it home somehow, and you can fix this if you have the courage. All the information is here.

Best of Luck.

I got it home and it's getting it's carb cleaned sometime this week. I can't wait till it's actually running! Thanks for the advice, this sounds like exactly what's going on!
Littlesprite
BMX
BMX

Post by Littlesprite »

Ultraliner wrote:Agreed... Get that bad boy back to your house and then with the help of everyone on here rip into it. They are very simple little machines and are awesome to learn on.

I personally wouldn't be keen on trying to ride a scooter of that age that has been sitting for any length of time that far without giving a thorough once over. You dont want to discover the front brake is worn out and next to useless coming up to a van that has nudged it's nose out of an intersection a little too far ;)

I got it home and with the help of this forum and a good friend, the carb is getting cleaned! Thanks for the encouragement, it helped a lot in my decision making.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Yes! Good stuff! Congrats on your newly acquired scoot :thumbwink:

Get stuck in and have a decent read around. There probably isnt too much you will encounter with it that you cant find info about on here, tis a great forum ;)