Polini 19mm won't start on my spree

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Re: Polini 19mm won't start on my spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Split it but did not replace bearings. They seemed good and tight. She started right back up after dying and didn't feel "off" or anything. I am running a 98 main jet so I doubt it is too rich but it was a thought. I also haven't tuned the carb hardly yet just took it nice and slow except the one time to 25 but even that was only like 1/2 throttle...
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Now my question is how to properly tune my Polini carb... Is it done the same way as the stock carb as far as how you do it, like adjusting until the wheel spins then back down yada yada? Or is there a different procedure with each carb? It starts easy, seems to idle about right but I haven't opened it up hardly yet... Not sure if it happened to come from the factory close to what I need... That seems WAY unlikely but I'm not experiencing any weirdness aside from it dying on my at about 25mph.
Rip_City_Spree
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Rip_City_Spree »

Pilot=idle-1/4 needle=1/4-3/4 main jet=3/4-wot. That's how I like to think about it. That isn't a 100% accurate but it will get you close. I start with the Pj then work my way up the throttle. And just for reference I'm running a 102 on my 72cc malossi kit and that is rich. So maybe you are a bit rich. And best thing to do to learn about tuning is to do your research and then start tuning. I spent/spend many many hours reading and tuning and still don't know s***. Just keep an eye on temps and honestly plug chops are a good thing to do. Though I have never done one myself but other swear by it.
01 Elite SR
polini corsa
Polini 26mm Carb
Naraku intake
Naraku sport variator
Currently 5g rollers
zx trans
Arrow
red contra with yellow clutch springs.
RIP CITY
RIP NO MERCY KERSEY
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Trying to tune without much luck... I have NO top-end power after 15mph. After riding for a couple minutes sometime it bogs at low speeds under throttle. I have tried main jets from 98 all the way down to 90. No improvement. Temps are staying between 185-205 depending on jet and scenario and sometimes even amount of time running.

Any thoughts? I tried dropping to a 38 slow jet but still no luck.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

38 pilot on a 19mm is prob really rich try a 32. And it really does sound rich still. Maybe it just needs a smaller jet. Is it the new style polini carb? They are really effient and take way smaller jets according to G9.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

It's a Polini CP from G9. I'll try to down her and see what I can make it do.
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

My biggest problem however seems to be at WOT it doesn't seem to want to "wind up". I am wondering if its my BBK or something. It never seems to run what I would consider hot... the hottest I have seen while running is around 215. After turning it off I have seen temps hit 265-275 without the motor running after a WOT run. I would think I could run much hotter than that. What premix would all of you recommend? I am going to bypass the oil pump and go premix but am not sure what the best mix would be. I was thinking 50:1 but maybe that is too much or too little. What do you think?
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Your temps seem a little on the cool side maybe.It won't be as efficient if it doesn't get quite hot enough. And it might foul plugs easily. its prob still rich. When it won't rev up is it growly sounding? And if you bypass the oil pump run 32:1.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
Weezerjerry
Spree
Spree

Post by Weezerjerry »

Ya, it's not carb related... I've tried about every combo of main and slow jets and no results. I think it's compression related. It has no power when trying to rev. I need to grab a compression tester and see. I am thinking screw it, it's time for a swap... Something a little more reliable.