Spree has spark, compression, and gas. Still won't start.

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: Spree has spark, compression, and gas. Still won't start

Post by MrJumps »

Crank the throttle wide open and kick it over hard or use the eletric start for a few secounds then let go of the throttle if the sound changes drastically then your probably getting a good seal. If the sound dosnt change or is very very slight then you may have a seal issue or clogged pipe. If it sat for a while I wouldnt be dare inclined to say the pipe has a next or either bugs or something living it the pipe. Bake the pipe, pull the airbox and carb off and clean it all good if you havnt, if the airfilter needs replacing grab a new one, throw a new plug in and try again if the bike wont start after all that they go rent the compression tester and go from there. Make sure your switches and wires are all grounded or it wont start its just discharging the charge into the frame if not.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Wheelman-111

Post by Wheelman-111 »

Greetings:

No real need to "rent" a Compression Tester.
Wheelman-111
Most of my money is spent on scooterparts. The rest is just wasted.
"ISO": '03 Vespa ET4 Malossi187 74MPH
Flash 9: 2001 Elite SR Contesta 72 ZX Tran, 9:1 Gears, Stock Airbox/Carb/Pipe 58.8 MPH
Punkin: 2010 Vespa/Malossi S78, 61MPH
GaryOak
BMX
BMX

Post by GaryOak »

Final Update:

The Spree is still running great! Starts on the first kick every time. Working on painting it now but she'll be out on the road this weekend hopefully.

Quick breakdown of the issues & solutions.

1. Previous owner had Spree. Used it last summer but then it sat all year and the carb got gunked up so when he tried it this summer it wouldn't start.
2. Previous owner seemingly tries to clean the carb, and replaces a couple tubes. Ends up putting the float needle in the wrong hole... Tries to start it a bunch of time and dries out the spark plug gap which leads to decreased compression.
3. Previous owner still can't get the Spree started and sells it to me for cheap :D
4. I take it apart, put in clean oil and gas, and clean out the carb real good. Put the float needle back in it's proper place thinking that's for sure the answer. Test spark and it checks out. Get it started once for about 10 seconds and then can't start it after that.
5. Get the recommendation to squirt a little oil in the spark plug gap when I test compression. BAM! It starts!

Been running strong since then!
Thanks everyone for your wisdom and advice!
  • 1986 Honda Spree (gone)
  • 1986 Honda Aero 50 (gone)
  • 2009 Genuine Buddy 125 (gone)
  • 2012 Vespa GTS 300
  • 1986 Honda Spree
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Great job Gary. :geekdance:

Pat is da Man with his great advice.

Thanks for letting us know. People will read this in the future and it is good to know the bike is still running great.

Taz
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

My theory is the previous owner probably used a crap ton of starting fluid trying to start the poor thing and it washed the bore dry of oil. It diddt seize it but it was so dry it had very little compression.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock