Starting Issue

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

Ddalessio
Noob
Noob

Starting Issue

Post by Ddalessio »

new battery, and scooter will run, had it set up to pushstart with a screw in the clutch before i put in new starter. now when i try and start it will barely crank keep trying ...then just a click until juice builds up again then barely crank again....what is wrong? will a bad starter relay give it some power to crank, but not enough to start? going nutz.

thanks for any help
DD
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

everyone is takeing my starting idea!!!!
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

not me when i had this prob i used a screw in the clutch. sounds like the batt doesent have enuph juse to turn it. did u try directly connecting the starter to the batt?
twsnagel
Goped
Goped

Post by twsnagel »

Sounds like one of two things:

1) Your new battery is a dud. Take it in and have it tested

OR

2) Your starter relay is bad. Try (as suggested above) connecting your starter straight to the battery. If that works, your relay is shot. If that doesn't work, your starter is shot.
Ddalessio
Noob
Noob

Post by Ddalessio »

thanks I will try...should I literaly connect wires from batt terminal to contacts on starter or connect somewhere higher up before the relay? might be a dumb question but never done it.
twsnagel
Goped
Goped

Post by twsnagel »

Yup - connect 'em straight - but get your + and - right or you might smoke the starter.
DENMANSHAFFER
Goped
Goped

WONT START

Post by DENMANSHAFFER »

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ONE OF THE BRAKES IN WHEN TRYING TO CRANK.
CHECK ALL THE CONNECTIONS INTO THE STARTER RELAY. I TRIED TO FIGURE OUT WHY MY ELECTRIC STARTER WOULDNT WORK FOR SIX MONTHS BEFORE FINALLY FIGURING OUT THE CONNECTIONS INSIDE THE PLUG IN WERE NOT MAKING GOOD CONTACT.
YOU CAN CHECK IF THE RELAY IS WORKING BY REMOVING THE METAL COVER AND MANUALLY CLOSING THE POINTS. IF THE STARTER SPINS, THE BATTERY IS STRONG AND THE RELAY IS WORKING.
IF THE BUTTON WONT SPIN THE STARTER, ITS PROBABLY NOT MAKING GOOD CONNECTION FROM THE SWITCHES ON THE BRAKES OR THE CONNECTIONS AT THE STARTER RELAY.