spark and fuel, will not start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

rk919
Noob
Noob

spark and fuel, will not start

Post by rk919 »

We have an 86 Spree that ran fine two weeks ago. I tried to start it and it turned over fine but would not start. I pulled the plug and it is firing. I sprayed carb cleaner directly into the carb and in the cylinder head to see if it would fire and it would not. Bad starter switch? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. This was a gift to my uncle and he said it was running great. He just doesn't ride it more than about twice a month.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: spark and fuel, will not start

Post by Meatball »

Theres so many reasons of what it could be. You have to eliminate all the easy basic ones.

Good rule of thumb:

AIR: has to enter the airbox, flow through an oiled filter, go through the carb, go through the reeds, make it out the exhaust port and through the muffler.

FUEL: has to flow from the tank, through the screen filter, the petcock, the fuel lines, through the carb, through the reeds.

If theres no restrictions at any of these...and you have spark...she'll run.

Most of the time the problem lies in a dirty carb. The air filter gets old, begins to flake away and tiny bits of it get sucked into the carb and plugs up the tiny holes that lie within.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

If you sprayed carb spray in both the carb and the carb and still no start, you have some checking to do. The bystarter is only in the equation under normal conditions. When the bystarter is enrichment mode when it is cold, it stops being in the start mode after getting power from the motor running. So spraying carb spray in the cylinder bypasses the carb. As long as some air gets through the carb its gonna fire if everything else is good to go. Btw don't use carb spray or starting fluid, use 2 stroke mix instead. First charge the battery or jump from a charged jumper pack. If no go replace the plug and gap it to 0.025". Plugs can fire outside of the cylinder but not in. Start there. Then have a look in the air box for the roasted air filter element. Make sure the air box is hooked up as well. Then pull the carb if still no go.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

Thank you guys for the info. The air filter is new and the carb and tank have been cleaned. I will check the items that yall mentioned. it has a kick start. Will it start this way if the starter switch is bad. Thanks again for taking the time.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Itll start with out battery. Kick will work fine, as long as its in run, and key is on. If u got fuel, put fresh mixed gas (1-2oz) down plug hole directly into cylinder, put fresh plug and kick away.
2000 Honda SR (purple swurp)
corsa
naruku
polini 21 cp 36/106 pod filter
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Polini evo2 clutch/bell yellow springs (slacked) yellow contra
Yasuni C16
stock crank/gears=wheelie machine
70 mph/12,470 rpm Trail tech vapor verified
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

If the bike wont start, I don't suggest trying to use the kick starter a zillion times trying to get it to fire. In my opinion, the kick start is only there to use when a GOOD running bike has a dead battery. The teeth on the kickstart will strip in no time. Hook the Spree up with jumper cables to a car's battery(with car NOT running) and use the starter. Only try to start in short bursts of 3-4 seconds at a time. Wait a few seconds and try again. Youll burn up a starter if you run it for 10 seconds straight or more.

If it wont start after a minute or two, its not going to. Something needs to be fixed/repaired.

Try the fuel down the plug hole with a fresh plug like Melo suggests.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the advice and will try what you guys have advised.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Meatball is right. People strip the kick mainly because the put there foot on and full fledged force it. During the 1st inch of travel, the gear is spinning and moving trying to engage with drive face, at full speed it typically skips which slowly strips the teeth. To correctly do it and promote longevity, push slow untill u feel it engage and get stiff, thats when it properly connected, then u can give it a good stomp. Another good way ive found was removing the fan shroud and fan to access the flywheel. Stick a socket on the nut in the center. Use a regular drill gun driver. Not an impact gun! Make sure its in a lower torque mode like "1" and u can mechanically spin it that way.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

Thanks Melo, good info to know!
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

I went to work on the Spree ready to use all the good info yall supplied and the scooter started. It ran at a high idle like a bike will do when it is running out of gas and then died after a few seconds. It has plenty of fuel and will start again but do the same thing over and over. Any Ideas? The bike is only driven a couple times a month so I don't know if maybe the down time is gumming up the carb?
eclark5483
CB900F
CB900F

Post by eclark5483 »

Possibly an air leak if it ran high idle.
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

Thank you very much. Will look for one. Happy New Year.
tazland001
Board Supporter
Board Supporter

Post by tazland001 »

Make sure that slide is in the carb correctly. Check the vacuum line for cracks. Also make sure the carb is tight and the plastic piece in between the carb and intake is installed correct.
Meloshameless
Elite
Elite

Post by Meloshameless »

Yep taz is right. High idle typically means too much air. Also make sure the air/fuel mixture screw is correct. Shoud be around 1-1.5 turns out from all the way in. However weather and altitude can effect what ur bike likes.
corsa
naruku
polini vari 5.5 gram
zx trans
Yasuni C16
rk919
Noob
Noob

Post by rk919 »

Thanks taz and melo. Will do. I didn't get a notification and did not know yall responded... So thanks!