New Tire Won't "Pop"

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

schwarz633
BMX
BMX

New Tire Won't "Pop"

Post by schwarz633 »

I'm putting some new Michelin S1 tires on a 1994 Elite S. I got the front tubed 3.00 x 10 on and had to put about 60 PSI in it to get the beads to seat fully. The rear is a tubeless 90/90-10 on what I believe to be a Metropolitan wheel (stamped "TUBELESS TIRE APPLICABLE" & "J10 x 2.15"). I've tried various lubricants and reseated it a few times now and one side just won't seat at 60 PSI. I've also done the bouncing thing as well as beating on the tire with a rubber mallet. My workspace is probably 55 ┬░F so I've got the tire in a 70┬░ F space now to see if that helps. How high can I take the pressure without things taking a bad turn?
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Re: New Tire Won't "Pop"

Post by MrJumps »

If you live near a familiy owned or a sears tire shop they normaly if not busy will do it for cheap or free. I had the same exact issue with a s1 90/90 they fit tight. Just bring it somewhere dont tear your body up messing with it. I spent a good 4 hours trying to get it to bead even with a ratchet strap it wouldnt bead.
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

I lube it up really good with dish soap and they pop right on. Never had an issue.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
patthesoundguy

Post by patthesoundguy »

Same here tons of dish soap and bead sets no prob. I sometimes use fluid film if I have something really stubborn but that almost never happens. Dish soap even works for me on the automotive tire machine.
Dude! Ya Can't Fix Stupid!
84 Spree stock
84 Spree Dio AF18E MHR Cylinder Arrow Pipe 28mm OKO
80 Express, 47mm DR BBKit, Weak Ends Intake, Boyesen Dual stage reeds, 19mm Delorto carb, MLM pipe
79 Express
85 Aero 80 stock
84 elite 125 stock
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

Well, I finally got it to "pop". Just kept deflating and inflating to about 60 PSI while trying different lubricants. Windex did not work. What did work was a light coating of Super Lube grease on the tire and rim. With the bead fully seated on the other side I was able to get the lubricant where it needed to be.
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

On tubeless tires, Yes to plenty of lube, but also, I always remove the valve core to seat the bead then reinstall to air up. This allows more of a burst of air which I believe does help seat to the bead. This is my own preference.
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Petroleum grease can cause issues w rubber tires, be careful. It can cause the bead to slip on the rim too.
schwarz633
BMX
BMX

Post by schwarz633 »

benji wrote:Petroleum grease can cause issues w rubber tires, be careful. It can cause the bead to slip on the rim too.
Super Lube® Grease is a patented synthetic NLGI grade 2 heavy-duty, multipurpose lubricant with PTFE. Synthetic base fluids and the addition of PTFE micro powders combine to form a premium lubricant that provides longer life protection against friction, wear, rust and corrosion.

As tight as it went on, I don't see it slipping.
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Post by Meatball »

benji wrote:Petroleum grease can cause issues w rubber tires, be careful. It can cause the bead to slip on the rim too.
Exactly why I use dish soap. Its slick, cheap and leaves your tires with fresh lemon scent! :smile:

It also washes off easily unlike grease and such.
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
Ultraliner

Post by Ultraliner »

Meatball wrote:I lube it up really good with dish soap and they pop right on. Never had an issue.

What he said... Have had to do a few now and have never had any trouble using dish liquid. Clean the bead and the rim before you try to seat it and it won't be a problem ;)
benji
CB900F
CB900F

Post by benji »

Yup, I use a bottle of windex thinned w water and some dish detergent. If the bead don't pop try bouncing it on the ground a little