1983 Melody measurements

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

ant-delux
Noob
Noob

1983 Melody measurements

Post by ant-delux »

Hi all! :hi:

:newb:
I got my self a lil Honda Melody a few months back, and as the story goes, its slower then i thought and i cant seem to find any good info about them to help me mod it. :coolcruise:

Its a 1982 bike with the AB07e engine ( apparently not a good choice :eyeroll: ). The main info i am after is the measurements of some parts off of other bikes. I am hopping to cobble something together, bit like a franken-skoot. I have done all kinds of searches and had no success as of yet. So short of shelling out cash just to get measurements off parts that might not fit i thought i would seek the wisdom of the many people on this site.
I have taken a few pics d will pop them up for reference.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :worship:

p.s i have been looking for and engine to swap out, unfortunately nothing has come up as of yet :cry:
Meatball
CB900F
CB900F

Re: 1983 Melody measurements

Post by Meatball »

Congrats on the purchase. The Melody, just like the U.S. Spree, is a single-speed motor. They are fun to buzz around on for a bit but usually leaves the rider wanting more speed/performance. Theres not much of a selection for aftermarket performance parts for these motors so most people opt for swapping in a "variated" motor from a different bike. In my area (the US) the popular choice is a motor from a Honda Elite but Ive seen many other creative motor choices. Im sorry I have no actual info on motor fitment for overseas bikes but Im sure someone on this forum does.

If you do some reading on the various build threads, you'll see that anything is possible with some creativity and a liquid-cooled wallet. The key is to find a used motor in decent condition that will bolt right in with minimal fabrication. Prepare to spend more than you expected to. Never fails. :lol:
I need to find some new haters...the ones I have are starting to like me.
MrJumps
CB900F
CB900F

Post by MrJumps »

If you are gonna swap, do the af16e or af18e motors.
They are the cheapest, and easiest to find, and the after-market literally can replace everything but the block itself.

As for measurements, what are you looking for?
1993 ch80, swapped with a ch250
2021 DRZ400sm :worship:
ant-delux
Noob
Noob

Post by ant-delux »

Thanks Mr Jumps and meatball, i am sorry for taking so long to reply. i had lent out my laptop.

i have some pics of the engine with the measurements, there are just stupidly big so will need to sort that out before posting.
in the meantime i will have a read of the build threads and see what ideas it gives me. an engine swap is looking like the better option.

thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Ant :thumbwink:
kuromi
Spree
Spree

Post by kuromi »

Hi Ant-d,
If you're looking to tune your Melody you'll need to swap out the motor.
I've wasted many hours and a fair bit of money on gaskets looking for big bore kits.

The best you can do is get an oversized piston and bore the barrel out to about 58cc - not worth it in my opinion.

What kind of melody is it?
I've got a Deluxe 2 which has a cvt motor and a mini melody which is closer to the Spree - fixed gear motor.
1983 Melody Deluxe II / ND50MC
1984 Melody Mini / NP50D
1979 Simson Schwalbe KR51/1 (think 2 wheel trabant/ East German Honda Cub)
ant-delux
Noob
Noob

Post by ant-delux »

Hi kuromi

I just tried an nh80 gasket kit and realised that I would just give it a miss.

I have a melody and now a melody deluxe, both with cvt. I think they are both '82. Is there any other variator and torque plate that I could try to your knowledge. I noticed that the groves on the torque thing have a curve on other bikes.
I did change the spring and rollers but haven't got as much out of the bike as I had hoped.

I have a scrap Chinese 125cc in my workshop have been thinking of making a bigger melody cut and fiberglass the panels over the custom melody frame.when that would happen god knows.

Have you got any posts up about your bikes?

Cheers