Starter Woes

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Starter Woes

Post by kjkenney »

OK I need some guidance. Recently had an issue where my 85 Ch150d went from starting each time to the starter spinning and nothing engaging. It's spinning the flywheel, but holding the start button makes it just sound like a drill running.

I am still learning always, so I wanted to see what all to check. I pulled out the starter and plan to bench test it this evening, but what all am I looking for? It spins...is there more to it that could cause the starter to fail even if it spins? Could it be a gearing issue? I can see the small gear when I remove the starter and turn the engine, all teeth look good, but I know there's a larger gear as well that I can't see. Before I starting replacing random crap, looking for a little guidance. Thanks all!
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Re: Starter Woes

Post by kjkenney »

Also..it was doing something where the relay would just click and nothing happened, but if I manually turned the engine, it allowed the starter to spin again. *?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

kjkenney wrote:OK I need some guidance. Recently had an issue where my 85 Ch150d went from starting each time to the starter spinning and nothing engaging. It's spinning the flywheel, but holding the start button makes it just sound like a drill running.

I am still learning always, so I wanted to see what all to check. I pulled out the starter and plan to bench test it this evening, but what all am I looking for? It spins...is there more to it that could cause the starter to fail even if it spins? Could it be a gearing issue? I can see the small gear when I remove the starter and turn the engine, all teeth look good, but I know there's a larger gear as well that I can't see. Before I starting replacing random crap, looking for a little guidance. Thanks all!
I'm not sure if any members here are familiar with your model but this is a link to a service manual. It sounds to me like the pinion gear may be the starting point in your investigation........http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Honda/ ... te150.html
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

Yeah I have the service manual but it's only so helpful with troubleshooting steps, but god bless Honda for their detail in other stuff. I guess I'm more lost in a general sense on what all comes into play with starting. My mind is starter spins=starting, but clearly there's much more involved. I will look into the pinion, from what I understand that is the toothed shaft on the starter yes?
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

Apparently, I incorrectly termed the starter clutch and related gears as the pinion gear. The manual shows the starter gears located behind the flywheel. I have no way to help you here but there's others here who may be able to. Best of luck!
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX

Dio ZX Headlight/Disc Brake Mod: http://hondaspree.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=30861
kjkenney
Goped
Goped

Post by kjkenney »

That's what I was afraid of...but hey part of the fun right? Took apart the starter and am missing resistance on a couple commutator spots so that explains my intermittent click and no spin. Also the armature is not retracting. It seems stuck open, so need to rebuild. While I'm waiting for parts I'll probably inspect the starter clutch and gears. I miss the simplicity of my old Aero 50!
bonesv

Post by bonesv »

kjkenney wrote:That's what I was afraid of...but hey part of the fun right? Took apart the starter and am missing resistance on a couple commutator spots so that explains my intermittent click and no spin. Also the armature is not retracting. It seems stuck open, so need to rebuild. While I'm waiting for parts I'll probably inspect the starter clutch and gears. I miss the simplicity of my old Aero 50!
Uh-huh. :cry:
Honda Elite SR
Honda Elite-Dio ZX