Need to "Beef Up" the ride

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

there is no drum brakes that stop fast enough on a honda period when you mod a dio engine on it. The 87 drum is smaller than the S drum and the spree drum is smaller than the 87 drum.i know you don't go fast enough on a honda to know the difference especially if you never tried a disc conversion on a honda or rode near another honda with disc conversion and try to stop at the same time when you are all lined up on a cruise.All this is just theory on your part. I have actually tried stopping with and with out disc on an 87.the drums on the spree. many change the spree to atleast the S drums to add more stopping power. I have rode with my drums with disc conversion hondas and lacked in stoppin by 100% next to the disc brake honda.Being able to stop safely in half the difference is too much of a distance to ignore.Stopping should be rated as they do with cars.They shouls be done in extreme cases when you really need to stop like at 50+ to dead stop as fast as possible and see the difference.
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

noiseguy wrote:
hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:if you are 190+ I would say fat chance of a stoppie especially moving at 50+mph.Off the top of my head the disc brake conversion will cost 800+ just for parts.And fortunately your moped can accomidate a japan disc brake conversion with no major modifications. For those who don't think that disc breaks are worth it. They don't ride fast enough to know the difference between drum and disc.
I know the difference, trust me, and I still don't think it's worth it.

Like I said, for the $ upgrade the engine and get a set of "performance" brake shoes with some better material.

Speaking of which, I assume you went through the brakes, checking cables and lubing pivot points?
That's freaking dangerous thinking there,no sense go "fast" if you cant stop safely in time :shock: .
Live triple clamp $150 -you can get them cheaper but need to know where to get it from,
Complete dd50 front end -taiwan - $150 includes,fork legs,headset with bar,brake master,caliper etc.
That's $300, pretty much bolt on ,but with the Live triple clamp, you will need to mod the inner panel to clear,if you went with a "G" triple clamp, no modding need,but good luck with finding a G triple clamp :D
Oh and that's the price it runs down here.
Remember,everyone is human,even if there stupid!
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
noiseguy wrote:

Like I said, for the $ upgrade the engine and get a set of "performance" brake shoes with some better material.

Speaking of which, I assume you went through the brakes, checking cables and lubing pivot points?
those who think like this never took the MSF course(motorcycle safety). it shows majority of stopping in the fron brakes. They probably don't really think about safety factor either. Also probably think that their drum brakes are just fine. You seem to know alot technically but lack in safety.You need to learn to stop before you go fast. Guess what the major of the shop owners in hawaii would attest to this.I thought you were someone that embraces safety?I guess not.
Wah wah wah. You're right, I've no experience with disks on Honda scoots.

Yes, I took the MSF course. Yes, I've ridden a variety of bikes with both disks and drums. My CB900F, which could keep up with my friend's C5 Vette and touch off at 130 MPH needed the dual front disks to stop it in reasonable time. My guess is that if this 50cc scoot is having that hard of a time stopping, something's wrong with the brake system. And grippy pads should still help; vintage bikes race on drums, by regulation, every weekend across the country.

When I say it's not worth it, what I mean is that at the $800 you started by quoting (and that I've heard members bragging about around here), it's time to upgrade to something that already has disk brakes stock, like, I don't know, a Kawasaki EX250. You can buy a used small motorcycle like that for the $800 plus the scoot's private party value. Where's the rationale there?

As far as upgrading the motor without touching the brakes: My experience with bikes has been such that I'm as worried about getting run over from behind on these things as stopping in time. Point is that if you're going to spend money, you'll get more bang for the buck from the engine. At $300 for the front swap, considering the upgrade to the suspension you get, it's probably a wash. But that's the first time I've heard that system quoted so cheaply... those local only prices?

I'm surprized you guys are getting all worked up. I thought that the '87 Elites were so beneath your contempt they weren't worth bothering with? It's not a Dio plant, after all.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

87 with disc brakes
I also ride big bikes hence mi sig yet mines cruised at 140+ with a 9sec possibilty at the track.it is an 89 1100 punched out to 1201. What's your point of the big bikes. motorcycles here need motorcycle licenses,insurance,yearly registration and yearly safety check.Also insurance here is very high for people under 26 here(i.e-$1000 a year). The moped is a one time registration,no insurance,no safety check and only a drivers license. Where do you think most of their money will go especially when the rider is just out of school.
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

noiseguy wrote:
hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote:
noiseguy wrote:

those who think like this never took the MSF course(motorcycle safety). it shows majority of stopping in the fron brakes. They probably don't really think about safety factor either. Also probably think that their drum brakes are just fine. You seem to know alot technically but lack in safety.You need to learn to stop before you go fast. Guess what the major of the shop owners in hawaii would attest to this.I thought you were someone that embraces safety?I guess not.
Wah wah wah. You're right, I've no experience with disks on Honda scoots.

Yes, I took the MSF course. Yes, I've ridden a variety of bikes with both disks and drums. My CB900F, which could keep up with my friend's C5 Vette and touch off at 130 MPH needed the dual front disks to stop it in reasonable time. My guess is that if this 50cc scoot is having that hard of a time stopping, something's wrong with the brake system. And grippy pads should still help; vintage bikes race on drums, by regulation, every weekend across the country.

When I say it's not worth it, what I mean is that at the $800 you started by quoting (and that I've heard members bragging about around here), it's time to upgrade to something that already has disk brakes stock, like, I don't know, a Kawasaki EX250. You can buy a used small motorcycle like that for the $800 plus the scoot's private party value. Where's the rationale there?

As far as upgrading the motor without touching the brakes: My experience with bikes has been such that I'm as worried about getting run over from behind on these things as stopping in time. Point is that if you're going to spend money, you'll get more bang for the buck from the engine. At $300 for the front swap, considering the upgrade to the suspension you get, it's probably a wash. But that's the first time I've heard that system quoted so cheaply... those local only prices?

I'm surprized you guys are getting all worked up. I thought that the '87 Elites were so beneath your contempt they weren't worth bothering with? It's not a Dio plant, after all.
Just because it did not come with dio does mean it is not worth it,dio swap is ideal,but not needed, disc brakes for any ped gong over 60 on a regular basis- flats downhill runs is a must.
Those are local prices. The front end is used not new, and some slight modding with be required of course.
I over heated my front brake pads twice already,I set litteraly came off the backing plate,the set just had major crackage ,1 set was oem the other I think was ebc? I had to replace the rim and hub also due to overheating issue, I never took the msf course,but like to take the twistys over speed.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Nice shots of the frontends on those two scoots, guys. To the original poster; this is what the disk frontend would look like when complete.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
darat
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by darat »

thats what i take it as.
MICHIGAN MOPED MAFIA Co Founder VET OG. 95 YAMAHA JOG 70CC
ccs_racer_155
Noob
Noob

Post by ccs_racer_155 »

[hrnytrtlsgsxr wrote quote]The 87 drum is smaller than the S drum and the spree drum is smaller than the 87 drum.
[/quote]
Let me see if I got this... If I get a complete 87 wheel for my spree I'll have better front brakes on my 84 spree. And how do I search for this "S"model? What scoot has the best front brake that I can swap onto my 84 spree?
Just a side note after reading all the coments... for me brakes are more important than any motor mod! Someone or something gets in your way suddenly, good brakes and quick thinking will go farther than a trick motor. Just my opinoin, I could be wrong.
hrnytrtlsgsxr, very cool disk brake mods!!! I would love to do to mine... but I need to spend the money on race tires & entry fees for my gixxer1000 racebike. :(
mopedman
CB900F
CB900F

Post by mopedman »

they fit, i had some on one, and i am 240 pounds and elite brakes stop me fine
Michigan Moped Mafia founding member
2005 Yamaha Zuma
1985 Honda Spree
1978 Honda Express
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

you need the hub,rim, and need to make a bracket to stop the hub from rotating. I seen some really fugly and some super clean.
Their was a guy selling a chrome one on hawaiimopedriders.com but not sure if you guy's can axcess that site.
MySpree
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by MySpree »

hey hey hat crome one how much???!!!
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

MySpree wrote:hey hey hat crome one how much???!!!
*?
85stroka
Elite
Elite

Post by 85stroka »

85stroka wrote:you need the hub,rim, and need to make a bracket to stop the hub from rotating. I seen some really fugly and some super clean.
Their was a guy selling a chrome one on hawaiimopedriders.com but not sure if you guy's can axcess that site.
last I know still for sale
se50
Spree
Spree

Post by se50 »

I looked into XR/CR50 tires for my scooter. I really wish someone made enduro tires in that size, since, knobbies really "howl" on a paved road. I learned that with my four wheeler, and a friend's '77 Honda XL175.
1982 Volkswagen Rabbit 4dr 1.6l diesel (5 speed)
1987 Honda Elite SE50p with drilled out main jet, shaved head, UNI filter
1985 Kawasaki Bayou 185 ATV
1984 Yamaha IT200 enduro
1974 Piaggio/Vespa Ciao moped, pocketbike exhaust.
Skullet
BMX
BMX

Post by Skullet »

maybe its just me, but that looks like just a chrome version of the stock drum brake? i dont see a caliper or disc or anything..