scored piston, cylinder

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

scored piston, cylinder

Post by edoggdoremus »

for about 8 months now my 1986 spree has been sitting in my garage, unable to start (30psi compression). I finally took a look inside, and found a scored piston and stuck piston rings. The jug also has some scoring and little bits of metal too. Piston is worthless now i'm guesing, but is there a way to salvage the cylinder? or do i need to replace that too.

thanks.

ps: anybody have the parts i need?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

the cylinder can probably be saved with honing depends on the severity of the scoring if you found bits of metal then you need to remove the engine from the bike and split the casing to get ALL of the shavings out
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
burnt_toast
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by burnt_toast »

Kenny_McCormic wrote:the cylinder can probably be saved with honing depends on the severity of the scoring if you found bits of metal then you need to remove the engine from the bike and split the casing to get ALL of the shavings out
yeh indeed. and if you can feel any "grooves" in the cylinder scoring, then you'll need to replace that too. otherwise either hone or some wetsanding should helpt it out.

www.scootertherapy.com is a good place for spree cylinders, got a used one back in the day from them for like $25.
projects galore :nerd:
hrnytrtlsgsxr
Elite
Elite

Post by hrnytrtlsgsxr »

you might be able to flush out the metal flakes with gasoline and such but it is not a sure gaurantee way of all the metal getting out.You can use miuratic acid to help take out the aluminum from the inside of the stock bore. but watch out cause it's not good to breathe and is hazardous. IMO using wet sand would increase your chances of blow by since you are deforming the bore.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

yeah i went back and looked more closely at the cylinder and there are definitely grooves of scoring in it. thanks for the help. found a really cheap parts bike on craigslist, so hoping it has a good cylinder and piston.

by the way, what would have caused such bad scoring all of a sudden? Broken oiler? It worked fine before the fateful day when it just died on me.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

something could have got stuck in the carb leaning it out
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

Take the jug to a motorcycle shop and get it bored and matched to a new piston. Although I dont know if they make a .10 oversized piston for a spree.