no spark

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

no spark

Post by PimpinSpree »

bought a second spree and trying to get it to spark. Been pulling parts off the good spree and no luck. Coil and spark plug are off the good one, no luck. Tried cleaning magneto and stator, no luck. tried pulser off good spree. The old one was one wire hook up, the new one has two wire hook up, so i just ran a ground wire to it. No help. Tried the cdi off the good spree. It was a little fatter than the old one, and didn't help. Tried replacing the thing up by the battery in the back, opposite side the fan (whats this called) the old one was aluminum and the new one was plastic. Still no help. I checked all connections i could find and they all looked clean. The headlight lights up when i turn the motor over. The bike is kinda incomplete, but everything seems to be there for the ignition system. Does the kill switch on the handle bar have to be hooked up?
Im so confused what to try next
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

the headlight isn't completly bright, Does this mean the stator is the problem? We cleaned the crap out of it and the magneto
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Incomplete? You're going to need to download the service manual and go through it, swapping parts on an incomplete bike isn't going to be effective.

I think you need the kill switch wired...
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

it has no turn signals no brake light, stuff like that. I think Everything that could possibly be in it for the ignition system is there. I have all the right handle bar controls coming, But i really don't think it will help. Im pretty sure the kill switch just grounds it out, so you will have no spark. Not wire means it would be the same as in the run position. Can anyone confirm that?

is there a way to find out whats working with a meter?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

well i downloaded the service manual. I tested the resistance on the cdi plug, and found the "alternator exciter coil" to get an open reading. So i guess i need a new stator.

anyone have one for sale?

for future people searching. Pull the cdi out of its plastic holder, its on the right side behind the seat. Pull the plug out of the back, get a $15 multimeter and check the resistance going from the green wire, to each of the other ones. your results should be as follows

black with yellow stripe .1-.3 ohms (coil)
black with red stripe 750 - 1,200 ohms (stator)
blue with yellow stripe 60 - 200 ohms (pulse generator)
black with white stripe either close to 0 or open depending on if the key is on or off and also the kill switch
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

ok, so i replaced the stator, and it gives a spark just every once in a while, mainly when you first hit the starter. The new stator gives me 690 ohms and the manual says it should be between 750-1200. It seems like if its not a short or open circuit it should work, right? i'll have a ton of replacement parts coming, so hopefully i'll find the answere
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

alright, so i thought they were the same but i guess they may not be. My brother just bought an aero, and my stator is off his aero, service manual for the sprees says it should be between 750-1200 and the areo says 600-1000 so that means its not the same stator? His doesn't have spark, and we think its the cdi, i tried my cdi in his and it didn't make a difference. Does anyone know if areo and spree ignition parts interchange?
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

well its all figured out. The aero stator seems to be working fine, and the spree cdi on the aero. So they seem to be interchangable. We had a really dumb mistake, the problem was that both are missing the ignition lock so we had all 3 wires tied together but the black/white is the kill and its not supposed to hooked to anything
PimpinSpree
Elite
Elite

Post by PimpinSpree »

well its all figured out. The aero stator seems to be working fine, and the spree cdi on the aero. So they seem to be interchangable. We had a really dumb mistake, the problem was that both are missing the ignition lock so we had all 3 wires tied together but the black/white is the kill and its not supposed to hooked to anything