Oil pump problem: Update...

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

eisen011
Noob
Noob

Oil pump problem: Update...

Post by eisen011 »

Okay, borrowed a friend's toolbox and yanked out the oil pump from the '84 Spree that was leaking oil and spewing oil at me upon removing the oily spark plug and cranking it. The O ring looked good-maybe, but beyond that, I am no expert...Anyway, upon removing the oil pump, I found about 50 mls or so of greenish oil in the crankcase (?), which I am guessing shouldnt be there. Removed it with a syringe. Bought a new, used tested ok oil pump on ebay (Honda shop wants 70 bucks!!!) and will install when it comes in. Another post back in the day said that sucking out all that oil in the crankcase was sufficient, and that it'll burn off and be smokey for a while. Is this true?
Otherwise, the plan is to install the new used pump, bleed the lines per section 2 of the manual and drain all that green cruddy oil out, replacing it with the Honda oil. Am I missing something or does this sound right? Also, I noticed that when I yanked the oil pump out, the gearshaft wasnt screwed into the oil pump. The manual didnt specify anything about that, and as it's the first oil pump I've ever seen, not sure if that's right.

THanks for any posts. Starting to realize this girl would have gotten more out of taking auto shop as opposed to home ec classes in school!
Kate[/i]
Streetglow
Goped
Goped

Post by Streetglow »

the oil pump gearshaft floats between the pump and the crank. It isn't physically connected to either one, just make sure you engage both sides of the shaft gears before trying to screw the pump back in (all the teeth mesh)
86 Spree (w/neon)
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

You've got it... the oil in the bottom end will be fine, just plan to replace the spark plug early once it get's going. Getting rid of the premix oil and going to Honda injector oil's the right path.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products