lil help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

lil help

Post by edoggdoremus »

well i recently replaced my cylinder and piston on my 86 spree and got it running again. I notice now though that when running, the spree is much more noisy than before. (Sounds more like a motorcycle now, kind of growls). When i first start riding after letting it warm up for lil bit, it sounds bogged down at first when accelerating, runs smooth to about 15, bogs down a little bit, runs smooth again till 25, bogs down again, then gets to about max 29 mph (use to go 33mph) and runs pretty smooth from there on out. The electric start is never powerful enough to fire the engine in the morning too, always have to kickstart it in the morning (new battery).
myhonda
Elite
Elite

Post by myhonda »

did u put the exaust gasket back in?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

I had the same prob. when I bought an old express. Turns out the head bolts were not torqued correct and the head and jug were loose.
I had a bad voltage regulator on my spree that was killing the batt. every morning. Put a new on and was good to go.
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

myhonda wrote:did u put the exaust gasket back in?
out of curiosity will leaving the exaust gasket out cause the scoot to run like that? cause i never put mine back in on my sb50p. i thought it was bogging down because i had a k&n type filter and it was too lean.

is there anywhere besides honda you can get those gaskets from?
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

dang, some reason i thought i put the gasket back on, but i found it lying on top of my tool box today. Put it back on, fixed the noise problem, still bogs down when i first ride it though, i figure it' just because it isnt warmed up enough.

Main problem now is my loss of 3-4 mph after i put on the new cylinder, rings and pistons. I'm going to do a compression test and change the spark plug tomorrow. The cylinder i got was a honed standard size cylinder. Could this be making less compression and therefore a lower top end speed?
Last edited by edoggdoremus on Fri May 04, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

You should of used a larger piston :shock: Im shocked you got it to run. That piston is prob. slapping around in the jug, that is if you used a standard piston.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

oops, i put a standard size honed cyliner on it, not the rebored one, i was a little tired when i was posting this. I corrected my post above, i bought a honed standard size cylinder. could a honed cylinder produce less compression?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

It could if it was'nt done right. Check your compression also make sure you put the rings on the right way.
edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Post by edoggdoremus »

tested compression was fine at 110 psi. I decided to open it up and take a look at the rings. rings were fine and put in place correcty. While replacing the base gasket though, i noticed some scratching and a few small gouges on the base gasket surface of the crankcase. (probably from me.............). Would this cause a leaky base gasket and also reduced speed? How would i fix this? Would i have to get it surfaced at a machine shop, or could i put some gasket sealer on the surface?
Gamemedic
Spree
Spree

Post by Gamemedic »

They would have to be big gouges to get a leak. When its cold get it running and squirt some windex at the base, if it bubbles you got a leak. I think you just have a fuel issue in the carb, or just let the new piston rings break in a little.