Can't get Spree to Start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

illuminance
Noob
Noob

Can't get Spree to Start

Post by illuminance »

Ok, I picked up a Spree a few weeks ago that had been sitting a year or so. Replaced the battery, cleaned/gapped the plug. I removed and cleaned the carb. It was pretty clean to begin with but went through it to make sure there was nothing in the ports.
It cranks great, lots of juice, but won't start. It's getting a healthy spark AND STARTS WITH STARTING FLUID, but dies after a few seconds. It has plenty of gas in the fuel tank, and when I open the drain plug at the bottom of the bowl, gas comes pouring out so I figure it must be getting plenty of gas. These carbs seem so simple...but I must be missing something! Any thoughts? I'm tearing my hair out...want to get this baby on the road!
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

check your air filter. clean it, and re-oil it. :wink:
illuminance
Noob
Noob

Post by illuminance »

The air cleaner is nice and clean. I am almost positive that it is a carburetor issue. Another hour today and still, starts uo with starting fluid, wont run more than 2-3 seconds
scooterpoot
Noob
Noob

Post by scooterpoot »

Remove the air filter and use your hand as a choke as you turn the starter over. If it starts then you'll know it's probably a fuel problem.
cannon3731
BMX
BMX

Post by cannon3731 »

I have had this problem before. On a few carbs i have rebuilt the idel jet is cloged and the engine wornt start. Take the carb off and reclean it and make shure the idel jet is clean.
Midwinter
Noob
Noob

Post by Midwinter »

Try a bit of oil in the sparkplug hole and see what happens.
illuminance
Noob
Noob

Post by illuminance »

I will try the oil idea and post back, thanks