84 spree slow turn over - no start

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

jeremydde
Goped
Goped

Post by jeremydde »

tony dz wrote:We'll if the starter wasn't bad before, it is now... I fried it... I connected the battery straight to the starter.. it seemed to turn a bit stronger, but still not strong or fast enough to start it.. The wires got pretty warm, saw a few sparks, and eventually fried the starter.. Pulled the starter of to confirm... It's dead.

So why would this have fried my starter? Did I do somthing wrong or is this a sign I had a bad starter to begin with?

As to the previous question... the engine seems to turn over easy by hand. Haven't done this before so not sure what to expect but it seems to turn smooth. It does get more difficult as you move through the rotation as pressure builds inside the cylinder. Think this is normal, correct?
Definatley doesn't feel like anything is binding.
You probably overheated the starter and burned it up. They are not meant to be run continuously for too long. You can also burn up a starter if you use too small of a gauge of wire to power it up.
2000 Honda Dio
Malossi 72cc Bore
28mm Oko Carb 45 Pilot & 132 Main
Phongeer Long
9 to 1 Gears
Parmakit Variator
1500 RPM contra spring
Kuka Clutch w/Polini green springs
Koso Digital Tachometer w/CHT
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

When I go back to your original post
---
I have an '84 spree that hasn't been run in several years. When I attempt to start it the electric starter is real slow and sometimes stops after a few rotations.... (sometimes the wires start smoking
too)
---
Then to your finding that the engine turns over easily, I'd say you already had a starter problem.

Your wires will not be smoking if the engine is turning easily and the starter is good.

A shorted winding on your starter's armature will definitly draw lots of current. The starter will run slow too. I had exactly the same symptoms - When pulled apart, the armature had one pole with burnt windings.

For others out there - if you have a slow crank check out the engine as noted, but also, consider pulling the starter, re-connect the starter wire and ground the starter case. Then run it unloaded on the scooter, using the start button as normal. If unloaded it runs slow, and if the wires are getting hot or smoking, its the starter.
---
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

your starter was probally on it's way out anyway... Now that you killed it, it is a good time to buy a new one.
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

kickstart ftw
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

resurecting and old post.here .. i've been sidetracked with other projects, but back at this now.. finally got around to buying a new starter and installed it tonight.. still have the exhaust temporarilly removed.. so I know there's no backpressure there.. installed the new starter and it seems stronger, but still lopes a bit.. when I pull the spark plug it turns very fast and strong. So question... how fast should it be turning with the plug in? Does the fact that it's much faster with the plug removed point to anything or is this normal?
dukemartini
Spree
Spree

Post by dukemartini »

have you checked to make sure that at this point its not a low battery?
lots of messing with the starter + not getting it started = heavy battery use and no recharge.
87 Honda Elite S-BASKET CASE PROJECT
88 Honda SB50P-sold but not forgotten
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

Definately not the battery.. have tried 3 different ones.. bought a new one and charged it too. still same result.
Farfignugin
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by Farfignugin »

with the spark plug out, (so it turns at a good speed) turn it over and check if there are any abnormal noises coming from the engine (bearings, etc.).
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

haven't heard anything abnormal.. turned it over by hand too and don't feel anything binding..
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Re: 84 spree slow turn over - no start

Post by tony dz »

So here it is two years later.. and I still haven't fixed this thing. truth be told I got frustrated and busy and put it away.. now it's just staring at me taunting me again.. I got to get this running.

So, I don't think it's the starter.. I fried one and installed a replacment both acted the same.. have a good battery. Engine turns smooth by hand, but seems like it's getting too much back pressure with the spark plug in. (I still have the pipe off because it's clogged). Here's what I just realized.. If I spray some starter fluid in the exhaust port and let it sit for a minute.. It will turn nicely a few times and attempt to fire.. Once it attempts to fire kicks out some smoke then stops. once it stops it's slow again as if too much pressure. Almost like the starting fluid is lubing the cyliners.. any ideas to look at..
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

Rather than figure out my description.. wathc this.

http://s208.photobucket.com/albums/bb17 ... CN7173.flv
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Pour a tablespoon or 2 of motor oil(2 stroke, 30 weight, whatever you have handy) in the jug, turn over without plug for a while, then install plug, give it a shot of ether and see what it does.

A WARNING ABOUT ETHER AKA STARTING FLUID, if the engine backfires it will blow the reeds vales right out of the cage. Some premix in a "oil can" is a much better idea.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
tony dz
Noob
Noob

Post by tony dz »

Just tried that.. no change. still turns fast and freely with the plug out.. and the slow with the plug in.. by the way, Kenny, if I had panned the camera to the left a couple feet you'd have seen one of the reasons I stopped working on the Spree I have a 79 CJ7 that I also work on. (noticed your sig)
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

Try a new spark plug.
jsun3thousand
BMX
BMX

Post by jsun3thousand »

I have this same problem. Did you find a solution? Does anybody have any more advice?