Wont run in the rain.....

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Wont run in the rain.....

Post by chevyguyjay »

just like the topic says, i got stuck in the rain this morning. i couldnt get me scoot over 23mph. i have a 84 spree with a 87 elite se50 engine on it. any ideas would help. :roll:
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

probably something in the electrical look around for bare wires and grease all of your connections
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

all my wire connections are good. if my rectifier and cdi get wet, would that cause it? im really stumped on it. i have a k&n air filter on it, so i dont have the air cleaner assembley such as the rear wheel fender well. i dunno.....cant seem to figure this out. :?
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

first we need to figur out if its an intake problem or a ignition problem. was the engine missing? because if it wasnt missing or reving weird or backfiring or anything it probably isnt the ignition. is that filter in a posistion where it could get wet? if the filter gets wet it will block a airflow and richen the mixture
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
stillspeeding
Spree
Spree

Post by stillspeeding »

you are sucking water through the filter which plugs the main jet causing the engine to bog!
Can't afford speed then stay away from it!
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

stillspeeding wrote:you are sucking water through the filter which plugs the main jet causing the engine to bog!
How would that clog the main jet? The water would just get sucked into the engine through the carb.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
chevyguyjay
CB900F
CB900F

Post by chevyguyjay »

well, the engine was like shutting off, then coming back on. it did this really fast, and could only get it to 23mph. im thinkin its in the electrical somewhere....
halfj99
Noob
Noob

Post by halfj99 »

mine did the same thing(got caught in a quick shower once) , but i never drive mine in the rain anyways
2006 Chevy Cobalt
1985 Honda Spree
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

chevyguyjay wrote:well, the engine was like shutting off, then coming back on. it did this really fast, and could only get it to 23mph. im thinkin its in the electrical somewhere....
that means its electrical. remove the coil and check the wire for any cracks it could be arcing somewhere. Check the wires coming from the pickup they could be shorting out. check the wiring in general