Starter rebuild and questions

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

I have not taken apart a Elite SB50 starter, but you could measure your brushes and see if the LT80 brushes will fit. That's part of why I listed the dimensions.
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Good info... I'm betting these brushes are all interchangeable.

One of the key difference between them is that some turn the opposite direction from the others. Spree / SB 50 starters rotate opposite direction of Aero / Elites. You can actually change the motor to run either way... don't recall how but it was easy to get it wrong on reassembly.
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Motor rotation!

There's two ways to change the rotation. One is to reverse the polarity, but that's not easy to do without rewiring the brushes.

But if you put the case on 180 degrees off, the North/South permanent magnet poles are reversed. So the motor runs backwards, same as swapping the wires.

Mitsuba put a feature on the case tabs to make it easier to get the poles correct, but you could mark a the mount and case with a felt pen when you take it apart as a keying mark.
---
Beyond the rotation difference the Spree starter mounting holes are 'clocked' differenty from the Elite SA50/Gyro. The Elite mount is almost 180 degrees apart, the Spree is less. So you cannot take a Spree starter, rotate the can and bolt it to a Gyro.