Smoking and oil

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

edoggdoremus
Goped
Goped

Smoking and oil

Post by edoggdoremus »

Can putting a scooter on it's side with oil in the tank cause oil to get into the crankcase? I got a friends Spree that was laying down in his garage for a bit and it is really smokey when running and when i pull the sparkplug it is pretty oily. Would this be caused by oil in the crankcase? Also, how do i check to make sure my oiler isn't leaking oil into the crankcase? Should i opedn it up and syringe out any possible oil or will it burn away?
mousewheels
Veteran OG
Veteran OG

Post by mousewheels »

Oil can leak past the pump driveshaft seal into the crankcase.
-- There's some recent messages on this board about seal replacement. The seal is not a part that Honda sells alone. Check under Performance Technical section, subject 'Can it be rebuilt'

It also is possible for the pump to slowly leak oil out the output into the intake, dribble past the reeds and into the crankcase.

-- This is an easy test - You can pull off the oil tube going into the intake and place a cup under it. If it accumulates oil during a week or two of sitting and the tube is full of oil (no air bubbles) then there's oil leaking past the pump.