not sure where I mightput this... need Aero 80 help

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

e30srthebest
Noob
Noob

not sure where I mightput this... need Aero 80 help

Post by e30srthebest »

I need to replace the crank seals on my aero 80, but the crank mounted drive pulley/kickstart-gear (not kickstart, its on the crank) wont come off! Ive tried a puller, I've tried heat, I've even stretched "Unstretchable" bolts with the puller. Is there something i'm missing here? help?
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Post by HuskieMobileMan »

Dude, I had the same problem. I was trying to pull it off with a timing gear puller and some screws and it just would not go. I plan on rebuilding a NH125 that has the same set up.

What I am going to try to do is get a thick piece of steel, drill a hole in the center of it and tap the same threads as the crankshat into it. Then drill 2 more smaller holes the exact distance apart to fit the pulling bolts into. Thread the steel onto the crank, attach the bolts to the gear and steel and gradually torque down both bolts till it pops.
'87 Elite SE50 w/65cc Polini Kit
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

A trick i use to pull flywheels of old 4 stroke briggs engines is to pry on the flywheel and smack the shaft with a hammer they usually pop right off just be careful not to mushroom it
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
e30srthebest
Noob
Noob

Post by e30srthebest »

tried that too... d*** thing wont budge :evil: :evil:
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

I will let you know what happens with my contraption. I will probably get to it next week.
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
noiseguy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by noiseguy »

Are you using the puller designed for this? The one that threads into the flywheel, then has a bolt that pushes on the crankshaft?
Admin, Hondaspree.net

Buy air filters and gaskets here (Ebay): http://stores.ebay.com/noiseguysstore
Buy air filters and gaskets here (Amazon): www.amazon.com/shops/spreepower
Buy a t-shirt here: https://teespring.com/stores/spree-powersport-products
e30srthebest
Noob
Noob

Post by e30srthebest »

1. im not on the flywheel side of crank case, im on the drive side
2. There are no threads on the gear/pulley half im trying to pull off
3. yes I am using the puller that pushes on the crank shaft, still no workie

I need to replace the oil seals, and this is really satring to * me off...
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

e30srthebest wrote:1. im not on the flywheel side of crank case, im on the drive side
2. There are no threads on the gear/pulley half im trying to pull off
3. yes I am using the puller that pushes on the crank shaft, still no workie

I need to replace the oil seals, and this is really satring to * me off...
Dude I feel for ya. I got * off as well and decided to take a hacksaw to the case instead. BTW, the case was already f'ed as it was.
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
HuskieMobileMan
Spree
Spree

Got it off my NH125 just now. Used a timing gear puller with the 5/16 flange bolts that came with it. Had to use a dremel to make the bolts fit into the gear. Used the puller without the center screw, just put a couple washers on the crank and fit the puller over the crank. Slid the bolts through the puller and the gear and put nuts on behind. Got everthing straight and then gradually tightened the bolts evenly until *POP* it came off. :D I am going to guess you will need to use 1/4 inch bolts on the NH80.

When it comes to putting it back on, I heated the heck out of it and with the engine on its side I slid it on the crank and used a deep socket over the crank to tap it back on. Once it is in place, have a spray bottle handy to help cool the gear down so that it doesn't heat up the crank and melt the oil seal.
'84 Aero NH125
'84 Aero NH80
'05 Kymco ZX50
e30srthebest
Noob
Noob

Post by e30srthebest »

thanks for your sympathies and help provided, I will try that last post's suggestion, at this point I am willing to try almost anything.