Wierd no start problem / seized kickstarer

Trying to get your Spree/Elite to run, or run better? Post your questions here.

Moderator: Moderator

mikeg
Noob
Noob

Wierd no start problem / seized kickstarer

Post by mikeg »

I've got an 86 Spree and it has been working fine...then I put it in the back of a car for about an hour, drove it somewhere and it wouldn't start. The battery is long dead, but before I put it in the car, it would kickstart no problem.

When I got it out of the car, I checked the ignition hookup, gas in the tank - some had leaked, so I filled it up.

When I tried to kickstart, there was *nothing*. Obviously something got screwed up up while I was transporting it, but what? I tried kickstarting it for far too long (45 mins), and then the kickstarter completely seized on me - the starter will not move at all (destroyed bearings?). I have minimal mechanical skills, but if there is something relatively easy that I could try to get this thing running again, I would really appreciate it. Otherwise, it's back to the $hop. : (

rsvp
mike
Kenny_McCormic
CBR1000RR
CBR1000RR

Post by Kenny_McCormic »

you probably messed up the gears kicking it.
I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV. Actually my advice is probably worth slightly less than what you pay to view it.
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Post by No_Stopping_A_Spree »

This happened to a friend on an '86 spree the kick start seized and the teeth got destroyed. Well he went out and bought a new one and kicked it twice and it seized, destroying the new kickstart...I know it isn't help on your problem but it may save you money if you buy a new kickstart..So make sure you didn't damage the teeth on the moped part..I don't know what you would call it.
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

> you probably messed up the gears kicking it.

so what should I do now?

any reason why it would go from a smooth running bike, to completely non-functional (no turn-overs) from a car ride?

mike
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

Maybe after kicking it for 45 minutes did it
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

> the kick start seized and the teeth got destroyed

ouch x 2 . Is there a "special" way to kickstart Sprees that I don't know about?

When the kickstart was still able to move, could I have flooded the thing? And to "un-flood" it I was told that you could turn the kill-switch and go through some kickstart motions. True?
mikeg
Noob
Noob

Post by mikeg »

> Maybe after kicking it for 45 minutes did it

What do you think happened? Why would 45 minutes - or 45 hours *break* the mechanism? I still don't understand why it didn't start after the 1st or 2nd kick.
No_Stopping_A_Spree
Spree
Spree

I don't think there is a special way..I kickstarted my '86 spree for over 20 minutes when I had problems with it without a problem with the kickstart. Did you let your foot rest on the kickstart then push/thrust down? then keep it on it while it came back up? Or did you thrust your foot down hitting the kickstarter on the way down then let it snap back up? Is it seized at the top or somewhere down..ie middle bottom? You may just have to take the cover off and readjust something on the cover that will come off..I'd explain but I don't remember what to do lol